Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Caud
Tutor
Tutor
Doorbell wired
11 REPLIES 11
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Caud wrote:
Doorbell wired

More Details needed.

• transformer details (volts, VA)?
  • chime model?
  • power kit installed?
  • power kit switch position? (should be X)

Caud
Tutor
Tutor
Transformer 16v
Chime model ?? Nutone
Power kit installed-yes
Power switch position x
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Caud wrote:
Transformer 16v
Chime model ?? Nutone
Power kit installed-yes
Power switch position x

Which Nutone model (it should say inside the chime)?

You might try disconnecting the power kit briefly, and see if that works.  If it does, you might need a new transformer (I also had this symptom, and replacing the transformer resolved it).

Note there is some risk of damaging the chime perhaps the doorbell if you run it longer-term w/o the power kit.  So I'm just suggesting this as a test.

Caud
Tutor
Tutor
Wired Nutone Doorbell not ringing when Arlo Pro 2 is alerted:
Nutone model LA 157MA
UNDER that model # is
Caud
Tutor
Tutor
Also, the bell outside only rings about every other time it’s pushed, so visitors are never sure if it rang and many times it doesn’t ring inside at all. Only have phone signal and that’s not good. I bought wired specifically so I would always hear the bell
Caud
Tutor
Tutor
Nutone - model number
LA 157MA
UNDER this model number are the numbers
Caud
Tutor
Tutor
Ok, I disconnected the Arlo power box from the chime doorbell and the chimes rang perfectly when doorbell button pushed.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Caud wrote:
Ok, I disconnected the Arlo power box from the chime doorbell and the chimes rang perfectly when doorbell button pushed.

First double-check that the power module switch was set to "O".   "X" is bypass mode, and that will silence the chimes.

If the power module switch is in the correct position, then likely you need to replace the transformer.   I had the same symptoms, and that was what I ultimately had to do.  Note my old transformer was in-spec - though it was quite old.

I did run the system w/o the power module for a while (some months) with apparently no ill effects.  But there is risk that over the long term it might result in damage to the chime or even the doorbell.  If you don't install the power kit, there is always current flowing through the chime - and the chimes aren't designed for that.

Caud
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you so much for response.  I will go change to O now and see what happens.  I had been instructed earlier to place in X mode.  

Caud
Tutor
Tutor

Further ... I live in home built in 1938 and no one has been successful finding the transformer.   Could it be self contained in the doorbell itself?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Caud wrote:

Further ... I live in home built in 1938 and no one has been successful finding the transformer.   Could it be self contained in the doorbell itself?

It wouldn't be in the old doorbell, but it could be in the wall behind the chime.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation