Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wired Essential Doorbell Intermittent Ringing Compatible Chime

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
SplatKing
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have installed the Essential Video Doorbell and I get intermittent buzzing and ringing on my chime.  I have read ALL 🙂 the previous problems regarding this and have tried everything.

Here is what I have:

- NuTone c905 transformer (16v, 10va) 

- NuTone BK144lcl-1 chime (16vac)

- Transformer is supplying 21.3 volts

- I have tried with and without the power block.  With the power block, the chime does not work at all.

- I tried a 16v, 30va transformer and had the same problem

- an electrician checked all the wires and power, and said all is fine

The only thing I cannot confirm is whether or not the chime (BK144lcl) is compatible with Arlo. It is NOT listed on the compatible list for RING.

Has anyone successfully used this chime? Is my only option left to try a new chime?

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SplatKing wrote:

The only thing I cannot confirm is whether or not the chime (BK144lcl) is compatible with Arlo. It is NOT listed on the compatible list for RING.

If it's not compatible with Ring, then it likely isn't compatible with Arlo either. But I'm not seeing it on Ring's incompatible list, it is just missing altogether from their lists.

You do need to use the power kit with the AVD1001.  I am thinking that perhaps the switch on it is in the wrong position (that it is set to bypass mode - the "X" position on the switch).

SplatKing
Aspirant
Aspirant

I finally got back to working on this. I re-installed the power kit and the intermittent ringing stops, however, pressing the doorbell now no longer rings the chime. I've tried 2 different power kits and with the switch in the 'O' and 'X' positions. No difference.

It's like the power kit is not stopping all power from going thru. Any other suggestions?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SplatKing wrote:

pressing the doorbell now no longer rings the chime. 

It's like the power kit is not stopping all power from going thru. Any other suggestions?

Actually more like the power kit is diverting all the power around the chime.  But possibly another component has failed (transformer, doorbell, or chime).

Have you tried removing the doorbell, and then touching the two wires together?  Then see if the chime sounds.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation