Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wired Doorbell randomly turns itself off

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Regnurb
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having a very similar issue to the person at this thread (https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Video-Doorbell/Wired-Doorbell-Independently-Turns-Itself-Off-and-...).  
The doorbell I purchased roughly a week ago, seemingly turns itself off randomly throughout the day and occasionally will come back online without my help.  In other cases I have been disconnecting the power wires for about an hour and then reconnecting them to power the unit back up and it connects again on its own after a few minutes.  

I tried going through the Arlo website online help, and I'll just say that it was not productive and has all but turned me to buying a competitor product.  This is just one last hail-mary to see if I can get this thing working consistently.  

The hardware is version 1.2; firmware 1.14.0.0_1189_4e1d685_8173366; serial number A8C321KC00662.

There is 20.2Vac coming from the transformer.  The system is wired correctly. All other devices in the home do not have issues with the WiFi connection.  I do not believe there to be an issue with signal at the doorbell as other devices have signal strengths of about -40db when located next to the doorbell. 

Also, the doorbell is warm to the touch but does not seem to be "hot."

When it works it seems very nice.  However, as mentioned above, the online support person has done a good job of turning me away from using Arlo devices. Hopefully I can find an answer here. 

7 REPLIES 7
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Regnurb,

The solution in the post you linked above requires experimental firmware that is still in test. This firmware will eventually be release to all users but is not available at this time. If you would like to test the experimental firmware, I can have your doorbell added.

Thanks,

JamesC

Regnurb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, Thank you for the response.  I would be open to trying the experimental firmware.  The doorbell keeps disconnecting from my home network for unknow reasons.  This is the only device that we have noticed this on.  The only way I have found to fix this is to remove the power wires for an hour and then reattach them.  The doorbell will come back online for an unknown period of time (sometimes a few hours and up about 36 hours). When removing the power wires I immediately receive an alert about a loss of power to the equipment however, before then the app and online it says that i cannot connect to the device.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Regnurb,

The experimental firmware has been pushed to your doorbell. Monitor your doorbell starting tomorrow and let us know if you still experience the same behavior.

JamesC

Regnurb
Aspirant
Aspirant

@JamesC  Will do, thank you!!

Regnurb
Aspirant
Aspirant

@JamesC I have not had any luck with this device working better.  I am still having the same issues.  Also, not sure if the firmware you pushed to the unit worked.  The firmware version didn't change from before.  The hardware is still version 1.2 and the firmware is still version 1.14.0.0_1189_4e1d685_8173366.  Unfortunately I think I am just going to stop attempting to get this product working and cut my losses here.  

GTG350
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have this same issue, all of a sudden the doorbell is disconnected and after following all of the troubleshooting to the letter, cannot get it reconnected. It is also warm to the touch which is a bit concerning. Did you ever get this resolved? I think I’m going to have to buy a new one (different brand).

Regnurb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello GTG350,  I was never able to resolve this issue.  Nothing that I tried seemed to work.  I was told that an experimental firmware was pushed to my device but I also never saw the firmware ID change.  I am not 100% sure that a newer/experimental firmware actually made it to my device.  I have since removed this device and switched to a different manufacturer.  I was disappointed by this because I read such great reviews. 

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation