Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Video on video doorbell - choppy recording

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
elasticeye
Tutor
Tutor

Just installed my Arlo Video Doorbell. Everything works fine, but the video is choppy/not smooth, especially when a person is approaching the camera. See this video. The choppy video starts at around 0:20.

Is this normal?

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It doesn't appear totally choppy to me and it may be the whole video has the same issue but doesn't seem to show it due to the distance/size of the subject (just a guess). You can download the video and use 3rd party software (the free VLC should be fine) to check out the frame rate. I just tried a couple of mine and found that daytime videos seem to be 24fps while nighttime are 14fps which would explain the mild choppiness.

elasticeye
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks.

The framerate (FR) on the the video at night is around 11-14. 

The FR on a day video is around 18-24. It's lower when there is activity, and higher when nothing happens. 

But, on my Arlo Pro 2 cam, the FR is stable at 24. Why is the doorbell not as stable? Is it because of the automatic HDR that is activated? I also have 1536x1536 resolution activated, while the Arlo Pro 2 is at 1080.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I suspect you're right but haven't tested it myself. Try turning off HDR and lowering the resolution, one at a time, to see if there's any difference. It could also be an issue with signal strength and/or quality.

elasticeye
Tutor
Tutor

Ok, thanks.

Just to be clear; the cams and doorbell are speaking to the hub, which is speaking to my internet router?

So I could also try to put the hub closer to my cams?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Assuming that the doorbell is connected to your hub and not WiFi, you're correct. Moving the hub away from the router and/or closer to the doorbell may help as long as that doesn't cause connection issues with other cameras.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation