Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
sirrah
Tutor
Tutor

I’m just at the almost ready to buy stage but I still have a question on the video doorbell.

I don’t currently have a wired doorbell and the instructions appear to indicate that as a pre-requisite.

So, do I need to purchase and install a wired doorbell before installing the Arlo video doorbell?  Can I just install a transformer and use the Arlo Chime?  If so, is there any benefit or disadvantage with either approach?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The recording delay is always there due to the cloud nature of the beast. However, properly configured in your modes and rules (and maybe a zone) the delay isn't noticeable in most cases. My tests with pushing the doorbell button have shown the chime and phone call to not have that sort of delay - notification is nearly instantaneous.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The current video doorbell requires power from a doorbell transformer. I have the same issue and use a plug-in transformer:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VT6ZH5R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It shows as unavailable but there are others that are similar.

As for the chime, you can use the Arlo chime but be aware that it need to be paired with a base so you'd need the doorbell, chime and a base.

jefke23
Star
Star

I just installed it, and i aslo didn't have a wired doorbell.

In the package you  recieve when ordering the doorbell, you will find a transformer.

I installed that transformer and connected the doorbell directly on this. Its works just fine.

The chime indeed can be added seperately, but then you need a base station first.

sirrah
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the replies.

Does having a wired chime, as opposed to the Arlo Chime get over the issue of latency?  In fact, is that the point of Arlo suggesting that you should already have a wired doorbell installed?  They are not clear on this.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@jefke23, are you outside of North America? In the US the transformer is of the required voltages/current while places like the UK have differing setups requiring a new transformer.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@sirrah wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

Does having a wired chime, as opposed to the Arlo Chime get over the issue of latency?  In fact, is that the point of Arlo suggesting that you should already have a wired doorbell installed?  They are not clear on this.

WHat latency? My chime goes off at the same time as the call on my phone. There's no need for a wired chime unless you really want one and can wire it in reasonably which is why the Arlo chime makes it easier.

sirrah
Tutor
Tutor

I'm in the UK.

sirrah
Tutor
Tutor

I know there is latency with Ring as I have seen it.  I have also read in these forums that there is a delay of 4 seconds or so before the notification on the phone.  Would there be the same delay with the Arlo chime?

I am just concerned because the instructions are that there should be an existing wired doorbell.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The recording delay is always there due to the cloud nature of the beast. However, properly configured in your modes and rules (and maybe a zone) the delay isn't noticeable in most cases. My tests with pushing the doorbell button have shown the chime and phone call to not have that sort of delay - notification is nearly instantaneous.

hastalavista
Tutor
Tutor

Hi, I also suggest you to check the alternatives. At least I was very disappointed to this doorbell. I have also older Arlo video camera which has been great, so it was surprising that this video doorbell sucks. You cannot really use it without paying a monthly fee. Even basic things like activity zones are not available without a monthly payment. You also don't get any recordings, but only live view. There are latency and picture quality issues. And even Arlo's own chime won't work without the base station. At least I don't want any more hubs or stations.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation