Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Video doorbell always disconnects

Discussion stats
  • 39 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
etsuch99
Tutor
Tutor

My Video Doorbell (AVD1001-100NAS) frequently shows as disconnected when I open the Arlo app. I know the signal and power are fine since after 3-5 mins it just reconnects and all is OK. This does not happen with my multiple cameras and lights which are even farther from the router. Anyone else seeing this? Feels like a defect.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

If you have exhausted all of the troubleshooting provided here and are still experiencing an issue, please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

etsuch99,

Your cameras connect to the Arlo Base Station/SmartHub and the Base Station/SmartHub is connected to your home network via ethernet. The Arlo Video Doorbell connects directly to your home network via WiFi. This could be a WiFi issue with your router. When you notice the Arlo Video Doorbell drop offline, are you able to check your WiFi connection to make sure other devices connected directly to WiFi are working?

JamesC

etsuch99
Tutor
Tutor

That's true about the cameras,  but the lights use the Bridge over WiFi. It's difficult to know when it drops since there is no notification or alert in the app. I'm assuming WiFi is up as I don't have issues like this with my many IoT devices. I'm open to it being a router issue but I would think it should reconnect automatically and I shouldn't notice it being down so often when I'm actually on working WiFi to view the App. 

Abidkhan
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have observed the same issue multiple times, not very frequent though. When I open the Arlo app, the Video Doorbell shows disconnected and within a few minutes, it reconnects. I just noticed it again, which would make it about 4-5 times within the last 2 months or so. I know the wifi signals isn't an issue where the video doorbell is located and I also have other devices on the same network which keep on working when this doorbell is out.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Abidkhan,

A firmware update was released for Arlo Video Doorbell resolving several bugs improving stability and performance.

Arlo Video Doorbell - AVD1001 -1.14.0.0_436_2024c80_f57463b 28th January 2020

Are you still experiencing issues after this update?

JamesC

Abidkhan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, JamesC.

I will report if the same happens again, as of now, last observation was on Jan 21 2020, when I posted.

TheLastCitizen
Initiate
Initiate
Doorbell remains offline numerous times throughout the day. Firmware updates should be monthly. I've relocated my router and base, still no luck. It does connect, but the signal is always dropping. Router works perfectly, kids are still online, along with the internet tv. Please help me resolve this before I return the device.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

TheLastCitizen,

What does the signal strength icon show for the doorbell? When the connection drops, do other devices on your network drop or do they also lose connection?

JamesC

krwhite52
Star
Star

I have the same problem.  I tried the link you posted in your reply and was denied access.

krwhite52
Star
Star

Signal strength on my system is good, still failing...

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

krwhite52,

What are you seeing? Can you provide more details about what is happening?

JamesC

krwhite52
Star
Star

When accessing the Arlo app on my phone, the video doorbell intermittently indicates that it is offline and for what reason, who knows?  I have 3 camera's (that work fine) and the video doorbell.  The video doorbell has been doing this since installation.  I followed the hints, ie. distance from router, resetting or rebooting, downloading newest app, etc.  It has always worked but just goes offline whenever it wants to ???  Case # 41431750.

Example: I notice it is offline when I get a notification that there is motion at the "door chime".  I check to see what is happening live because I didn't subscribe to the monthly cloud fee because I do not want it.  Sometimes when I check motion notifications on the cameras, I will notice that the doorbell is offline.  Very inconsistent!!!  Someone pushed the doorbell, I received the notice on my phone.  I tried to check it "live" but it was offline again.  

Since the doorbell won't function without the monthly subscription and I cannot connect it to the base station, I would just prefer to return it to Arlo and get my money back.  But they are not responding to my email. 

Online chat was 4/23/20 with a follow up email sent from Arlo on 4/23/20 on Case# 41614349.  There has been no response from Arlo.  On 4/23/20 I received another email from Arlo that Case# 41614507 had been created.  No response from Arlo.

I finally went to the Arlo Community to vent went I could not start a new chat with Arlo Support.  You are the only person who has inquired to my Community vent.  Where do we go from here?

Charmed79
Star
Star

We're having the same issue, it was fine for 2 months, now it won't stay connected, it looses connection every few mins, only staying connected for a few mins. Our internet is fine with literally everything else on our network, only happening with are video doorbell. We've restarted it and reset it several times, no help, we've rebooted our router, no help, the signal strength is 71% and I know that isn't the problem because it worked fine for months. Now we're paying and it isn't working. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Charmed79,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

ABSNY
Guide
Guide
Having same issue. Intermittently showing disconnected several times a day. Wi-Fi is strong. No other device having any issues. Doorbell wires are all secure. I reset doorbell. I even set up a dedicated 2.4 guest network.

Seems to be issue several people are having.
Charmed79
Star
Star

I contacted support, waiting to hear back, if they actually respond with helpful info, I will post it here. 

Charmed79
Star
Star

Support was not helpful at all, and now we have a problem with 1 of our security lights, it seems to have just died, stopped connecting and after being told to remove it and set it up again, will not even go in to syncing mode. God for the price of Arlo items, support and quality is lacking! 

krwhite52
Star
Star

Still no response from Arlo or the Community.  

ChefChaudart
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

I join the "club" 😮

It was fine for 1 month, then, suddenly ... disconnections ... 😪  ( WiFi is 3m close, so that's NOT the issue )

Waiting for feedback ...

TheLastCitizen
Initiate
Initiate

Appears that the same problem is persistent on each individuals device as well, yet support refers the issue to WIFI. I have noticed that we all keep saying the problem isn't OUR WiFi, nothing else drops, except for the ARLO DOORBELL. Looks like we all purchased some expensive crap of a product that functions when it wants too. This isn't what any of us wanted, we wanted peace of mind, and support clearly isn't knowledgeable about their own product. I guess that's because they all own RING systems, looks like I'll join the club, because ARLO is TRASH. EXPENSIVE TRASH!

Abidkhan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ever since the firmware update from January this year, my Arlo video doorbell has not caused any trouble at all. I faced challenges and issues initially, had to do setup multiple times when i was installing it last and later had disconnection issues as well. But since the firmware update, it has been running smooth. Could you still be running the older firmware?

ChefChaudart
Tutor
Tutor

Firmware 1.14.0.0_699_c71b2c6_0343820  🤤

eternity7602
Initiate
Initiate
Add me to the bunch. Sadly, I haven't even had my unit for 2 weeks and it has disconnected twice. In fact, last night it told me it was overheated in my 50 degree weather! I bought this arlo to get away from Ring because their $250 doorbell lasted 15 months and now they say it needs replaced... Guess Arlo was the wrong choice also... 🤦‍♂️ At 2 weeks old, I'm not gonna deal with all of this though, I'm gonna return it proactively, not worth it.
Charmed79
Star
Star

Well, after changing our router settings, turning off band steering, we had no issues for about a month, then a few days ago, the connection issues started again, we restarted our modem, router and the camera, nothing worked. The doorbell camera would not connect at all, we were told to reset to factory settings again, this was the 3rd time we had to do this, it's a pain and honestly not worth the hassle anymore. Arlo doesn't seem to care at all, months of trying to get answers and they ignore us, or copy and paste the same responses. So as of now, we give up and we are going with a different company. 

krwhite52
Star
Star

I agree with everything you have said, especially that Arlo doesn't care about their customers...

Discussion stats
  • 39 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation