Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
verduzco_1
Follower
Follower

Does this door bell camera have to be part of your system or can it be used as a stand alone without the base station? Like the Nest? Also once the free 3 month trail is over can you choose to just have the 7 day free recording’s one more thing is this a wireless connection or can it be directly wired to a router?

5 REPLIES 5
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

verduzco_1,

1) Arlo Video Doorbell does not require a base station or SmartHub, it syncs directly to your home network.

2) Once the 3 month trial ends, you would need to subscribe to Arlo Smart to continue saving recordings to the library.

3) The Arlo Video Doorbell must be hardwired for power but syncs to your home network via WiFi.

JamesC

JOELCO
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does this door bell work with the CHIME unit I already own?  Otherwise, what rings when the button is pushed?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JOELCO wrote:

Does this door bell work with the CHIME unit I already own? 

No.  It will ring traditional mechanical or digital chimes, and you will receive a call on your smartphone when the button is pushed.

Burkecableguy2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just to confirm, the doorbell is independent of the base; therefore, I don't need to worry that the base station has maxed out at 5 cameras.  Does the doorbell use a different app or are its functions integrated into the current app I use to view video when away from my computer? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Burkecableguy2 wrote:

Just to confirm, the doorbell is independent of the base; therefore, I don't need to worry that the base station has maxed out at 5 cameras.  Does the doorbell use a different app or are its functions integrated into the current app I use to view video when away from my computer? 

The doorbell doesn't use the base, and it uses the same app/web client as you are using now.  However, you might not be able to use your free 7-day recording if you add the video doorbell to your account (forum posts aren't completely clear on that point).

You can create a new account for the doorbell, and then use the "grant access" feature to give you access to your existing cameras from the new account.  Then you'd view everything from the one app / login.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation