Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Video Doorbell - would like it to detect motion on the streets appx. 30 feet away from my steps

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
AndrewVong
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased the Arlo Video Doorbell today and installed it with no problems. I had to install it horizontally, however no big deal as i will just rotate my phone to view everything. I am playing around with the motion settings and it is not picking up any motion until the person is right at the bottom of my steps. The camera points on to a street with a sidewalk and i would like it to detect motion on the streets (appx. 30 feet away from my steps), however it is not detecting anything. I set my sensitivity to the highest level (100) and still it picks up no cars driving by or people walking by. I did not set an activity zone. Is this normal? Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you changing the motion sensitivity in your modes and rules? The motion detection test just gives you a number to use in your rules and doesn't save/change anything. If you're changing the rules' settings a removal/reset of the doorbell and setting it back up fresh may help.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AndrewVong wrote:

I had to install it horizontally ...  and it is not picking up any motion until the person is right at the bottom of my steps. 

The horizontal installation could be part of the problem here.  Normally the PIR sensors in Arlo cameras are set up to be most sensitive to side-to-side motion (entering the field of view).  They are also more sensitive at the bottom than the top.

I'm not 100% certain that they designed the doorbell similarly.  But if they have done that, then your horizontal mounting would make the motion detection most sensitive to vertical motion - entering the (rotated) field of view from the bottom or top.  About all you can do is set the threshold to 100% (as you've already done).

AndrewVong
Aspirant
Aspirant
Do you know if they’ll come out with something to correct this? To allow horizontal mounting?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AndrewVong wrote:
Do you know if they’ll come out with something to correct this? To allow horizontal mounting?

I don't know.  They'd have to add more PIR sensors, and ideally provide a way to physically rotate the camera 90 degrees.

It might be simpler for them to simply make a horizonal model. 

You could post this in the idea exchange.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation