Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Video Doorbell saying low battery?

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
HSS1
Tutor
Tutor

What the?  Just installed a video doorbell.  It was working fine for a few weeks then started saying the batteries were getting low yesterday and it died.   ?   Its wired. I didn't even think it had batteries.     I removed it with the hope of readding it but now it doesn't seem to power up.

Anyone have any ideas?  Is there actually a battery in there?   I live in Minnesota and it did get pretty cold here last night (about 0 degrees).  I wonder if that messed it up and it confused being too cold with a low battery?

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

HSS1,

I will reach out to you in a private message to gather more information on this issue.

JamesC

titaniumlou
Initiate
Initiate
I got the same email “alert” today
JHan
Aspirant
Aspirant

I got an email with a similar message today, and am equally baffled as to why a "Wired Video Doorbell" with no apparent mechanism for recharging is triggering a low battery warning. If anyone figures this out, please post!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JHan wrote:

I got an email with a similar message today, and am equally baffled as to why a "Wired Video Doorbell" with no apparent mechanism for recharging is triggering a low battery warning. If anyone figures this out, please post!

The video doorbell does have a small battery, which can smooth out the power and cover short outages.  Since the camera is powered from the transformer, there is no need for a separate charger for that battery.

Double-check that your transformer is within the specs (16-24 volts, at least 10 VA), and perhaps also make sure the connections at the doorbell are solid.

HSS1
Tutor
Tutor

Hi. I bought a voltage meter and as suspected, the voltage is actually too low.  Its at 12-13.  I moved the doorbell wires to an existing transformer I had nearby for an intercom system thats no longer used.  Voltage is now at 18.   🙂     I hooked up the camera and its now alternating between white and amber.   I'm assuming it needs to charge the internal battery before it will work?   It had been sitting out there with insufficient power for a few weeks so I'm guessing the battery was completely dead.    Its 60 degrees so it can't be the temp.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@HSS1 wrote:

I hooked up the camera and its now alternating between white and amber.   I'm assuming it needs to charge the internal battery before it will work?   

It should be charged by now.  If it's not connecting, try removing the doorbell from the account, resetting it, and then adding it back.

cj2164
Initiate
Initiate

I too got an email that the battery in WIRED video doorbell is running low! Now after reading comments in the community you are telling me I need to be a freaking electrician and check the voltage to see if its too low? WTF? The previous doorbell worked fine. This has got to be some kind of joke. If not I'll just send it back and buy another brand.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cj2164 wrote:

I too got an email that the battery in WIRED video doorbell is running low! Now after reading comments in the community you are telling me I need to be a freaking electrician and check the voltage to see if its too low? 

If you are talking to me, then no - I didn't tell you (or the previous posters) to do that.  I did suggest that they should make sure their transformer was within the spec.

The doorbell has a small battery inside to ensure it can say connected through short power interruptions.  Sometimes you will get the message when the doorbell is first installed - since the power isn't constant when you are installing it, and the battery in the doorbell might not be fully charged.  If that battery gets low after that, then either there has been some power outage, or the doorbell isn't getting enough power from the transformer.  

macsonny
Initiate
Initiate

I'm getting a "Charge Battery" message too. It's running from a 24 VAC (1 amp) power supply so that shouldn't be the issue. 

What am I supposed to do here?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you actually checked the voltage? I would do that with the wires connected to the doorbell so there's a load on the transformer.

unjohn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey,  Sounds like the Transformer is not supplying the voltage/current that is required.  16 volts 10VA min.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation