Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Video Doorbell not detected by SmartHub

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
JustScott
Tutor
Tutor

In short, I go through the setup procedure to add a new device to my SmartHub but the base station struggles to detect the doorbell. I set it up the first time no problem, then a few months later for no reason it will just disconnect, I will try to set it up with no success then try again a month later and it will connect. Then it will last a few months, disconnect and repeat all over again.

When I try to reconnect I try the following:

- Check all firmware it up to date

- Remove the doorbell from my account

- Factory reset my doorbell

- Uninstall the Arlo app and make sure all the cache and files are cleared

- unplug the doorbell and leave for 30 secs

- Unplug the smarthub for 30 secs before turning back on

- reset my router (which takes me a few hours to set all my devices back up again)

I know the recommended is to connect on a 2.4GHz but that is not possible. My Galaxy Note does not allow me to force a 2.4GHz network and neither does my Router allow me to turn off 5GHz to force it.

I really hope someone can help me. I have searched every forum I can and done everything suggested but I am still getting nowhere.

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Resetting your router does nothing to help so you can save time and effort there. Also, since you're connecting to your hub, nothing about your WiFi needs to change.

My guess is that it's a signal strength/quality issue. What is your house construction (stucco is the worst)? How far is the doorbell from your hub? How many walls does the signal go through and what''s on/in the walls in that straight line path? Can you move the hub away from your router to see if that helps? Are there any 2.4Ghz wireless devices near either the hub or doorbell that could be interfering with the signal?

JustScott
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestions.

My house is just normal red brick. The Router and SmartHub are in the front room by the window almost next to the door. I have tried to draw it so that you get an idea of where it is.

The router and Smarthub were sitting next to each other, so have now moved them 2metres apart (as long as the ethernet cable allows currently) and still unable to find the doorbell. I have many 2.4Ghz devices around my house (joys of a smart home) but none are in the direct line of sight of the SmartHub and Doorbell.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While this may not be the fix, I guess I'd try swapping at the store before killing more time. Also, when you did the reset on the doorbell, did you hold the button for >10 seconds until the ring started flashing?

JustScott
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, when I reset I do check that the ring is flashing. I actually hold for 15secs as per the instructions but noticed it starts flashing around 10secs.

I do wander if mine is faulty or not.

Well thank you for you help.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation