Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Video Doorbell fails to trigger mechanical chime on hot days!?

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
cruiserandmax2
Apprentice
Apprentice

My Arlo Video Doorbell generally works fine and usually triggers our mechanical doorbell chime just fine- except when it is hot!?! On hot days around mid day when the Video Doorbell is in direct sunlight it fails to trigger our mechanical chime. It does ring my phone and otherwise acts normally.. Around mid afternoon when the Video Doorbell starts to fall into shadow (and cool down?) the button triggers the mechanical chime fine again. At night time it always triggers the mechanical chime without fail. I noticed in a knowledge base article (https://kb.arlo.com/000062327/My-existing-chime-does-not-ring-when-I-press-my-Arlo-Essential-Video-D...) that the app should indicate if the doorbell is over heating: "Check if the Arlo app warns you that your doorbell temperature is too high." But there is never any warning or indication in the app about the temperature of the doorbell.

So I guess this a known issue? Is there anything I can do about it? Maybe a thing reflective cover for the front of the doorbell to keep it from over heating?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

High temperatures can cause this symptom. Take a look at the Arlo Video Doorbell manual, page 74: Arlo Essential Video Doorbell User Manual

If your wired Arlo Essential Video Doorbell is heated to 149°F–185°F (65°C–85°C), the Arlo
app disables your chime, but continues to operate. If your doorbell is heated to above
185°F (85°C) the doorbell stops functioning until it cools down.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

cruiserandmax2,

Is this intermittent or have you been able to consistently reproduce this?

JamesC

cruiserandmax2
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have noticed it not working on two different days and at both times there was direct sun and the doorbell was definitely hot (the button was even hot to touch).. It has been overcast and cool the last few days- so I am waiting for another sunny day to see if this will happen again- it's been working 24hrs/day for the past few days

Gtjacket
Aspirant
Aspirant
I seem to be having the same problem. What did you figure out?
cruiserandmax2
Apprentice
Apprentice

We haven't figured anything out. It has recurred ate least a few times since I last posted (on a sunny day someone will push the button and the bell inside the house will not ring but our phones will receive the alert). We haven't run into a situation yet where everyone in the house was unaware that the doorbell was pushed. 

One idea I had was putting one of those silicon covers (white) on the bell in an attempt to insulate it from heating in sunlight. Though I've honestly been to lazy to try that.

If someone does find a specific solution I'd love to hear it.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

High temperatures can cause this symptom. Take a look at the Arlo Video Doorbell manual, page 74: Arlo Essential Video Doorbell User Manual

If your wired Arlo Essential Video Doorbell is heated to 149°F–185°F (65°C–85°C), the Arlo
app disables your chime, but continues to operate. If your doorbell is heated to above
185°F (85°C) the doorbell stops functioning until it cools down.

cruiserandmax2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wow, ok that explains a lot. We do get packages left at the doorstep without any notifications at all sometimes which must mean it is exceeding that second temperature threshold at times too..

It's pretty amazing that this limitation exists considering our doorbell will likely exceed at least that first temperature threshold for 100+ days of the year. And we live in a cool coastal climate. I can only imagine how much more this would affect people in hotter climates.

cruiserandmax2
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just ordered a white version of this cover to see if it will reflect away sunlight heat to avoid this problem:

https://www.amazon.com/HOLACA-Protective-Silicone-Compatible-Doorbell/dp/B083TS25RT/ref=sr_1_5?dchil...

Gtjacket
Aspirant
Aspirant

Agreed this is a major concern and disappointing product performance.  We have missed several people coming by ringing the doorbell over the last month.  It isn't even summer yet which is concerning as I just got the doorbell this winter.  Heavily weighing using Costco's generous return policy and canceling my subscription as well.

@Arlo, any chance you are working to improve the performance of the doorbell?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cruiserandmax2 wrote:

It's pretty amazing that this limitation exists considering our doorbell will likely exceed at least that first temperature threshold for 100+ days of the year. And we live in a cool coastal climate

149F 100+ days a year in a cool climate?

cruiserandmax2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Our summers average about 70 degrees- and yes it seems to reach that temperature quickly inside the unit when in direct sunlight under that condition.

cruiserandmax2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Actually- If you touch the black surface when it has been sitting in direct sunlight (in ambient 70 degree weather) the surface extremely hot to the touch- much higher than the measured 70 degree "air" temperature.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cruiserandmax2 wrote:

If you touch the black surface when it has been sitting in direct sunlight (in ambient 70 degree weather) the surface extremely hot to the touch- much higher than the measured 70 degree "air" temperature.

If it's reaching a thermal shutdown with a 70 degree ambient temperature, then it's likely you have a faulty unit.  Direct sunlight shouldn't  heat up the doorbell another 80 degrees.  If this was common, we would have seen a flood of similar posts by now (and we haven't).

I suggest contacting support.

fmldsw
Aspirant
Aspirant

Did the white cover help keep the doorbell cooler??

fmldsw
Aspirant
Aspirant

We live in NM.  The sun is very intense.  When the air temp is 80 the surface temperature of our black Arlo doorbell is over 130 degrees (using an instant read thermo pen) and that is just the outside surface, not the internal temperature. 

We are having the same behavior with our doorbell...video gets recorded but no chime.  Luckily, the bell is only in direct sunlight for part of the summer.

This is a replacement doorbell.  The first one stopped working entirely and we could not get it to respond at all, regardless of the temperature or sunlight...  Arlo replaced it.

We may try the white protective sleeve suggested above.

cruiserandmax2
Apprentice
Apprentice
The white silicone cover has been on for about two months now. We have not experienced a recurrence of the issue- but it doesn’t reach the 80’s/sunny skies until September where we live. It’s been in the low 60’s in fog for most of the past two months. I will report back after our first solid week of high temps/direct sunlight.
fmldsw
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks. I ordered one and should get it by next week. Our bell is in the sun in the afternoon now so I'll report back on how it does.
djuang1
Aspirant
Aspirant

My mechanical chime doesn't work on hot days.

Is there a fix for this?

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation