Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Xman1970
Tutor
Tutor

My video doorbell is now connected to the base station, but I was wondering why it's not recording to the hard drive?
It shows up under base station devices and I is working ie doorbell rings and notifications to my phone's?? Nothing in the library though.

20 REPLIES 20
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Start by rebooting the base/hub.

Xman1970
Tutor
Tutor
Rebooting doesn't work, besides like I said, the hub already recognizes it.
Is this Arlo purposely keeping us from using our own storage?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Xman1970,

If you have local storage enabled and your Arlo Video Doorbell is synced to your base station. You should see recordings for the doorbell on the local storage device.

What mode are you using on your doorbell? (default or custom)

JamesC

Xman1970
Tutor
Tutor
Yes local is enabled and recording the other 4 cameras fine.
What do you mean default or custom...I don't see that as an option anywhere??
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Xman1970,

Sorry, I mean the mode for your base station in the modes tab. What mode is your base station using (default Armed or a custom mode)?

Is there a rule within that mode for the doorbell?

JamesC

Xman1970
Tutor
Tutor
No rule.
Xman1970
Tutor
Tutor
No modes tab either
Xman1970
Tutor
Tutor
Sorry... thought I was looking for something different.
Yes, there is a mode tab...of course.
It is always set to either armed or disarmed.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Xman1970,

If you're using the default Armed mode, and that mode contains a rule for the Arlo Video Doorbell to record motion when motion is detected, content from the doorbell should be showing up on your local storage device just like your other cameras.

If you continue experiencing issues with this, I encourage you to open a ticket with the Arlo Support Team to further investigate the issue.

JamesC

Xman1970
Tutor
Tutor
Yes it should be showing up in my library. The rule is set to record, and yet nothing in my library!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Xman1970,

No, the content won't show up in your library. The library shows cloud stored content. Without a subscription, content from the Arlo Video Doorbell will not show up on the cloud.

To view the locally stored content, you must eject the storage device and view from a computer. This content does not show up in the library through the mobile app.

JamesC

Xman1970
Tutor
Tutor
So why am I able to view all the other camera recordings in library?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Legacy Wire-free Arlo cameras (Arlo, Arlo Pro, Arlo Pro 2) do not require a subscription for content to be stored in the cloud. Content for those cameras is stored in the cloud for up to 7 days. Arlo Video Doorbell requires a subscription for content to be stored in the cloud

You can set up local storage for any camera synced to the base station (including the video doorbell) to save recordings locally to a storage device. For more information on how to set this up, take a look here: How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo base station? 

JamesC

Saske
Guide
Guide
Hello,

I recently purchased an Arlo Video Doorbell but I am not interested for a monthly subscription, I just need my videos recorded and stored not interested with motion detect etc. To clarify, Arlo Video Doorbell is compatible with any Arlo Smart hub? And this smart hub can work as a local storage for videos taken by the video doorbell? I wanted to know before I purchase the smart hub and which model works. Thank you.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Saske,

Take a look here for compatibility information for your doorbell:

How do I connect my Arlo Video Doorbell to an Arlo SmartHub or base station?

This article will detail the differences in each base station/SmartHub:

What is the difference between each Arlo SmartHub and base station?

JamesC

Saske
Guide
Guide
Thanks James! I just purchased the VMB4000 with 1 arlo pro camera. Im excited to install all those with the doorbell 😁
hillx134
Guide
Guide

How did you get your video doorbell attached to the base station?  My doorbell is showing at the same level of the base station and has the same options as the base station (armed, custom etc).  How do i get it to the 7 day rolling recording after subscription is up?  Arlo says I get 5 ca eras on the rolling 7 days and this ks my 5th camera (really 4 since o e of my pros will only work for a short period after a charge(even with a new battery)

Also regarding the 7 day rolling recording:

https://kb.arlo.com/88/What-are-the-available-Arlo-subscription-plans-and-how-much-cloud-recording-i...

It says "If you have an Arlo Pro 2, Pro, Go, Wire-Free, Q, Q Plus, or Baby camera, you will continue to have all the benefits that were included with the purchase of your camera. This includes free rolling 7-day cloud recording, live streaming, 2-way audio, local storage, and activity zones on up to 5 cameras.

Arlo Ultra, Pro 3, and Video Doorbell come with a free Arlo Smart trial. When the trial expires, you have the option to purchase an Arlo Smart subscription. Without an Arlo Smart subscription, you can still add up to 5 cameras to your Arlo account, live stream, and receive motion and audio notifications."

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

hillx134,

Arlo Video Doorbell requires an Arlo Smart subscription for recordings to be saved to the cloud (7 day free cloud storage is not available for the doorbell, regardless of whether it is synced to a base station or connected directly to an access point). Without a subscription, you can still live stream and receive motion/audio notifications from the doorbell, but no content will be saved to the cloud. For information on how to sync your doorbell to a base station, take a look here: How do I connect my Arlo Video Doorbell to an Arlo SmartHub or base station?

You can set up local storage for any camera synced to the base station (including the video doorbell) to save recordings locally to a storage device. For more information on how to set this up, take a look here: How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo base station? 

JamesC

Modenacart
Guide
Guide
This response is why no one should buy Arlo. The fact the app does not communicate with the base station for local viewing is not explained when you buy the cameras. Arlo is trying to strong arm people into buying their subscription service. Arlo should be ran out of business. You can’t even sell the crap to get rid of it because they are locked to your account and they won’t activate for someone else. Arlo is such a garbage company.
hillx134
Guide
Guide
Could not agree more. I love my pro2 cameras. No fee and I can access them. I assumed this doorbell would be one of the 5 cameras recorded to the cloud, as their online matrix looked as if it could be. The second hit against the arlo doorbell camera is it does not work with smartting. Myvfault for not looking into that one. I juat assumed since the pro2 did so would the doorbell. I don't recommend them to friends any longer.
Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation