Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Video Doorbell & Arlo Chime

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
mgfoobar
Tutor
Tutor

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Video-Doorbell/Video-Doorbell-amp-Arlo-Chime/td-p/1741557 is closed, but didn't conclude whether or not Arlo plans to implement support for Arlo Chime ringing when Arlo Video Doorbell is pressed. The app suggests I can connect a chime (I only have video doorbells registered to my account), but the prior thread suggests that won't work. If I can avoid some debugging and avoid a trip to return a thing, I'd love to, but more importantly if I can avoid routing power quite a ways through our walls to a reasonable location for a chime, I'd love to do that.

Is support for the chime ringing when the video doorbell is pressed on the roadmap, or do I need to plan something else?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Terminal3
Apprentice
Apprentice

I was also able to connect my chime to my video doorbell.  It seems to work.  Just installed it all today.  I have the Smarthub.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mgfoobar wrote:

Is support for the chime ringing when the video doorbell is pressed on the roadmap, or do I need to plan something else?

Do you have a base station (or "smarthub")?  Or is your doorbell connected to your home wifi?

mgfoobar
Tutor
Tutor

We have:

1. an Arlo video doorbell we installed first, before any other Arlo products, and is connected directly to our wifi network (it is also the device in our house farthest from the smart hub)

2. a smart hub and ultra cameras we bought and set up next

3. an Arlo video doorbell that we just added which is connected to our smart hub

Maybe an Arlo chime *will* work with a video doorbell if the doorbell is connected to the smart hub?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mgfoobar wrote:

Maybe an Arlo chime *will* work with a video doorbell if the doorbell is connected to the smart hub?

I haven't confirmed this myself (it's on my list to try, but not yet at the top).  However, I believe it will work if you do that.

I found that when I switched to doorbell over to my VMB5000 smarthub that I began seeing a lot more corrupted recordings.  So if you try switching, be on the lookout for that.

mgfoobar
Tutor
Tutor

This is a promising enough idea for me to risk the annoyance of a return - just ordered a chime and will reply back here with whether or not this works when both are connected to the hub.

(also I've never had a corrupted recording on the doorbell connected directly to the network, but have had corrupted recordings on my smarthub-connected cameras)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have my doorbell connected to a hub specifically for the ability to use the Arlo chime and get recordings saved to a thumb drive for local storage. Both work fine, with very infrequent corruption.

Terminal3
Apprentice
Apprentice

I was also able to connect my chime to my video doorbell.  It seems to work.  Just installed it all today.  I have the Smarthub.

mgfoobar
Tutor
Tutor

I accepted the second solution post here because it specified "video" doorbell, which is one of the key characteristics that was at issue on other threads. Glad to hear this will work!

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation