Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Sparky4460
Star
Star

I have an Arlo pro system with a base station and have been looking into video doorbells.  I have read that the doorbell can be paired with the base station (mine is compatible) but I do not understand what that will get me other then the ability to trigger an Arlo pro camera.  I only have the free subscription and am not willing to pay for a subscription.  I do record all my video on a USB stick on my base station.  Will the base station record the doorbell camera?  Can the Arlo app record any doorbell video automatically when motion is detected or the doorbell is pressed?  I have also read that you can use geofencing with the doorbell.  But I know with the cameras they all have use the same geofencing mode.  You cannot have different modes for different cameras w/o an additional base station.  Can the doorbell be set to always on if I have geofencing enabled for my cameras.

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Connecting the doorbell to a base allows local recordings. That allows you to use the app to view those recordings without the need to safely eject the drive (you need a VMB4540 or higher to be able to view the recordings in the app - older bases still require that you eject the drive). Thus, you don't need a subscription for the doorbell as long as you're comfortable with this process.

As for geofencing, if you want it to be separated from the cameras you would either need a second base or hub or connect the doorbell via WiFi but be aware that will remove the ability to record locally.

jsaus63304
Luminary
Luminary

There are limitations when connecting the doorbell to the base.  The biggest to me was that with the base, it is that you arm/disarm all cameras on the base.  I wanted the video doorbell armed all the time,  My workaround was to create a custom mode for doorbell only.  I use this mode when I am at home to arm the doorbell.  When I leave or at night, I arm all cameras.  That way, the doorbell is always active.   You should be able to do that in conjunction with geofencing.

Bob_CA
Tutor
Tutor

My Video Doorbell does not appear in the list of devices used to trigger the mode...only my 4 cameras.

I really want my doorbell on all the time, and my cameras on a schedule, but they are all connected to the base station, so one mode for the station to control the cameras and doorbell.  Please add a feature to set the mode for each device.

jsaus63304
Luminary
Luminary

I agree.  Previously I had the doorbell as WiFi only with a subscription. and my other cameras on the base.  That worked fine but required a subscription.  You should be able to arm/disarm cameras individually when on the base, not just arm/disarm the base.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The use of custom modes, schedule and geofencing have always been the solution. The Armed mode is really just to get you going and for troubleshooting. There's no secret here - you just have to use the capabilities provided. Geofencing can use specific modes or the schedule for Away and Home which should provide the needed coverage. If not, you need to provide details as to what you're trying to do, what you already have set up and why it's not working.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation