Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Hali
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there,

I'm interested in purchasing an Arlo Doorbell of some sort.  I'm in the EU and measured my doorbell transformer at the EU Standard of 12V.  I don't want to go the route of a wire-less Doorbell that is hard-wired/always-on trickle charge because this is bad for batteries, which I don't want to have to replace every year or two.

This leaves me with the Wired version, but I do not want to replace the transformer AND the doorbell chime as that's alot of added cost.  I'm looking to use the existing transformer, which lets me keep my existing chime but run a step up converter which will take the 12V output out of the existing transformer and give me 16V 10A output which I could use to feed the Wired doorbell.

Before buying and being the experiment, I though I would ask here first.  Would this work?

Here's what I'm thinking of using:
https://www.amazon.com/SZZWJ-Power-Converter-106W-Module/dp/B096Z9Z3S7/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Hali wrote:

I'm looking to use the existing transformer, which lets me keep my existing chime but run a step up converter which will take the 12V output out of the existing transformer and give me 16V 10A output which I could use to feed the Wired doorbell.

No, this will not work.  For one thing, your link is a DC-DC converter, and the doorbell uses AC.  For another, any power converter would also be changing the voltage at the chime.

One thing you could look into is getting a 16-24v transformer for the doorbell, and activating a relay on the doorbell circuit to activate the chime.  The power kit would need to be wired across the relay.  Probably best to use a professional installer if you go this route.  Note this is not a usual setup, so you might run into support issues if you use it.

@Hali wrote:

I don't want to go the route of a wire-less Doorbell that is hard-wired/always-on trickle charge because this is bad for batteries, which I don't want to have to replace every year or two.

I believe the wireless doorbell (like other Arlo cameras) has overcharge protection.  I do hardwire one camera, and haven't had any issues with the battery.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Hali wrote:

I'm looking to use the existing transformer, which lets me keep my existing chime but run a step up converter which will take the 12V output out of the existing transformer and give me 16V 10A output which I could use to feed the Wired doorbell.

No, this will not work.  For one thing, your link is a DC-DC converter, and the doorbell uses AC.  For another, any power converter would also be changing the voltage at the chime.

One thing you could look into is getting a 16-24v transformer for the doorbell, and activating a relay on the doorbell circuit to activate the chime.  The power kit would need to be wired across the relay.  Probably best to use a professional installer if you go this route.  Note this is not a usual setup, so you might run into support issues if you use it.

@Hali wrote:

I don't want to go the route of a wire-less Doorbell that is hard-wired/always-on trickle charge because this is bad for batteries, which I don't want to have to replace every year or two.

I believe the wireless doorbell (like other Arlo cameras) has overcharge protection.  I do hardwire one camera, and haven't had any issues with the battery.

Hali
Aspirant
Aspirant

Very helpful.  I will go with the Wire-less yet hard-wired version then.  Thanks!

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation