Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Unable to view video doorbell after creating separate account and responding to invitation

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
rtos
Tutor
Tutor

Couple days ago I had a problem setting up my Arlo wired Doorbell. I was trying to add additional personnel to access the app and view. The process to have additional personnel view your doorbell is to send an invitation. They respond to the invitation which instruction them to create an account with Arlo. This where the problem was. When they create a separate account then they can not view the doorbell video. I was going in circles trying to figure out way this was not working.

So I contacted Arlo support using the Chat service. After some discussion with the person on the chat line they said someone would call to assist. A person called his English was broken and was difficult to under stand but after some discussion he said he could not help and would have someone from TECH support call me.

Another person called and they said that they would have to access my computer to see what the problem was. I was reluctant but allowed them to access computer, At this point I thought I was still with Arlo support team. The TECH scaned computer ran a cmd command and said I was infected with malware “SPYEYE” which he very promptly brought up a wiki page on. Of course this is of a concern so I allow him to talk me into a service contract for 1 year that includes the spyware software WEBROOT. At this point I then find out that I’m not talking to Arlo support but a third party tech support called “One Click Geeks” Latter that evening I start having concerns over what transpired and start doing some research. Spyeye is a valid malware I checked the log for the scans performed by Webroot and it indicated no problems found. No Malware NO tracking sw, NO virus. Also the computer that was scanned is used for a very restricted purpose and yes I do have email accounts on it the emails are few in number and only consist of simple txt message and no links imbeded in emails.

As far as the problem with the Arlo access by other users instead of the other party setting up their own account all I needed to do was have them use my email address and PW to gain access to the Arlo. This could have been easy answered by the original Arlo support team.

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sounds like a problem with Arlo but it's unlikely they would put you on to a third party...

Wonder how it went from Arlo chat to them....strange.

As to the other users using you email/pw, that can lead to issues.

There is only one primary account ( you ) and if you share you main access with another AND you are logged in, the new sign in bumps you out.  That's the reason for Shared access... it keep the account private ( only the primary users can do certain things ) and lets more than one person use the device at same time.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
rtos
Tutor
Tutor

As I stated I first talked to a Arlo support member he then had another Tech support call me because he could not help.

I thought another Arlo tech support was calling but ended up being the "One Click Geek" . I did not realize this for some time latter. This is not the only time I have read about someone having the same thing happen to them from Arlo support. here is a link to another Arlo customer that was redirected. 

https://oneclickgeeks.pissedconsumer.com/pissed-and-fuming-202111123058921.html

As far as the sharing the device I still must have a misunderstanding of how this works. I will start another post to try and get clarity on this topic. I know one thing I WILL NOT be contacting Arlo support for an answer.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey rtos,

We want to let you know that the support team would never ask you to share or access your computer. You can read more about Arlo support scams here: How can I avoid Arlo support scams?

rtos
Tutor
Tutor

Thats nice to know JessicaP The problem rest with ARLO since one of their Support Team represenatives directed me to a third part support team outside Arlo without my knowledge.   I was under the impression I was talking to a Arlo support member since the Arlo Support person that I talked to first directed the Tech support to call me directly since he could not correct problem. The problem to me is that ARLO has a problem in the Support section.  

rtos
Tutor
Tutor

I just noticed the Title to my initial Post was changed. Don't you think Arlo customers should beware of a potential SCAM going on with Arlo online Support?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation