Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 42 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
pipsf
Star
Star

Yesterday I bought an Essential Video Doorbell Wire-Free (AVD2001-NAS) and a Chime 2 (AC2001-100NAS).

I was able to get the doorbell connected to my base station (VMB4000), but the Chime 2 is not connecting at all. I have a very similar experience and Eero network as the poster in this thread: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Video-Doorbell/Fail-to-Connect/m-p/1755737

When I follow the instructions for configuring the Chime 2, it tries to join a random Arlo WiFi network that appears to be created by the Chime. However, my phone/app is never able to connect, with no helpful error message or guidance. I have tried over two dozen times. Following suggestions from community threads, I have switched Eero and my phone's WiFi to ensure everything in on 2.4ghz, but it makes no difference. I have tried creating an Eero guest network, no difference. I can't believe how incredibly difficult and frustrating this has been. Straight-up painful for what should be the least complicated device in my entire Arlo system.

To make matters worse, there is hardly any documentation for the Chime 2, and if you go to the Arlo support page, the Chime is not even listed as a product. It doesn't show up in the "Model" list on this site, either. The getting started guide that comes with the Chime contains no instructions at all, just a URL. What the heck, Arlo?!

I figured I'd take a chance here to see if anyone can give insight or a solution before I return the Chime.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue should now be resolved in the latest version of the Arlo mobile app (3.5).

Please make sure you have the latest version of the mobile app installed.

JamesC

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
pipsf
Star
Star

I tried chatting with Arlo Support but got disconnected (by the Arlo Support team) twice, both times after they put me on hold.

Before I was disconnected, I was told to turn off cellular networking, which I did... no change, same error.

I have spent HOURS jumping through hoops just to get the Chime 2 to work. It is maddening. Driving me bonkers. I should mention I have years of experience with network and server administration, so I am very technical and don't normally have any issues with this kind of thing. I've been running an Arlo base station with cameras for a few years now. Adding a Chime should be a piece of cake. The problem here is that the Chime 2 and related support are so poorly designed, it's a recipe for disaster.

Let me list the Fails, in no particular order:

1. The product site says the Chime 2 comes with a Quick Start Guide. The Quick Start Guide does not contain ANY instructions AT ALL, just a URL. Yet they advertise that the product ships with a QSG. 🤔
  2. The Chime 2 FAQ page (https://kb.arlo.com/000062573/Arlo-Chime-2-FAQ) has a link in the top left corner that says "This article applies to AC2001". The link is dead, it results in a Page Not Found error. 🙄
  3. The Chime is not listed as a product model in this community forum -- when you're prompted to enter a product model, the Chime will not show up, even if you enter the product number manually (and all manually-entered product codes get erased by the site when submitting). 😑
  4. The FAQ lists a question: "Can I connect the Arlo Chime 2 to an Arlo SmartHub or base station?" and answers "No. You must connect your Arlo Chime 2 directly to your WiFi router." This directly contradicts information spelled out elsewhere that states you can connect to a base station, and even lists compatible base stations (including mine), and is very confusing considering you have to use the Arlo mobile app -- which also manages the base station -- to set up the Chime 2. 😐
  5. The support doc "What do I do when Arlo fails to discover my Chime 2?" (https://kb.arlo.com/000062551/What-do-I-do-when-Arlo-fails-to-discover-my-Arlo-Chime-2) says to make sure that you typed the correct network SSID and password, yet during the setup phase (when the Arlo base station would be trying to discover the Chime) you are never given the ability to specify an SSID -- you are forced to try to join the Chime's mini network. Which. Never. Works. 😖
  6. The Chime 2 only supports 2.4GHz networks, so if you're trying to connect via 5GHz, which is the default for most modern modems and networks like Eero, you will be forced to research how to temporarily downgrade your ENTIRE NETWORK just so you can set up a single device. (This is where I remind everyone that Arlo is an offshoot of Netgear, and should have the networking know-how to ensure wide compatibility and smooth network set-up.) 😕

I could type more, but frankly I feel I've wasted enough time on this. No product is worth this hassle. I am returning it tomorrow.

Arlo, get your act together. Your product line is top-tier for people who want to buy smart home security products that are not owned by Google, Amazon, or a Chinese corporation, all of whom have legitimate security and privacy concerns with their products. You have such a great opportunity, and decent hardware, but have been consistently blowing it for years now on substandard software and support.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

pipsf,

Do you have a support case number I can reference to escalate and take a closer look at the issue you're experiencing?

JamesC

pipsf
Star
Star
42541129, 42541134, 42541139. All created last night. There’s prob nothing there, as they each left me waiting while they looked stuff up… then I’d get disconnected.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've added the details you've provided here and escalated case: 42541139

An agent should be reaching out to you with an update as soon as possible.

JamesC

pipsf
Star
Star
I’ve returned the Chime 2. It’s not worth the trouble and I’m not interested in spending more hours troubleshooting. Thanks
JGetzen
Guide
Guide

I just purchased an Arlo Wireless Video Doorbell today, along with a Chime 2. The Video Doorbell is connected and works fine.

I am experiencing exactly the same problem as the gentlemen above. When trying to add the Chime 2, the app requests that I join a new Arlo_EB5X network. I approve the connection, but it fails every time. Yes, the chime is plugged in. I am trying to connect using an iPhone 12 Mini. This not a user error.

Is there any resolution to this?

pipsf
Star
Star

I returned mine. Got a 1st-gen Chime and it worked fine right out of the gate (I have an Arlo base station). It was also cheaper, so yay.

An aside: Arlo support was not helpful nor timely. If it wasn't for my sizeable investment in Arlo, and the fact that Arlo is not owned by Google or Amazon, I would dump it all and go with something else.

JGetzen
Guide
Guide

I'd hate to switch to a Chime 1 since, from what I understand, I'd have to purchase a base station.

Surely, the Chime 2 works as advertised (directly connecting to wifi) for most people, right? Or does it? Come on, Arlo  support, let's see if you can solve this!

Edit: One possible avenue: if I knew the wifi password to the Arlo_XXXX account that's created, I could try connecting to it myself, from within the iOS control center app. I at least might get a useful error message.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JGetzen,

Do you have a different device you could try using for setup to see if you still experience the same failure?

JamesC

JGetzen
Guide
Guide

Hi JamesC. I don't have another device at hand, but I think I can borrow one. I reply back when I've done so.

JGetzen
Guide
Guide

Okay, I borrowed another iPhone, an older one, and it was able to connect to the Chime 2 and get it set up. All seems to be well now.

The Arlo team should really figure out this bug though. It causes a frustrating user experience.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue should now be resolved in the latest version of the Arlo mobile app (3.5).

Please make sure you have the latest version of the mobile app installed.

JamesC

pipsf
Star
Star

I do hope the app update fixes the issue for everyone, but it's a bit misleading to mark my issue as resolved when I in fact never had an acceptable resolution and did not test this solution.

I'm the original poster for this topic. I want to make it clear to anyone who comes to this page that I was not involved with the 'solution' posted on this thread and have not verified that it works. The solution for me was to use a different product (1st-gen Chime).

Also note this solution was posted almost 7 weeks after I started this thread. If I had kept the Chime 2, it would have been a brick for nearly 2 months. A brand new product, completely unusable for 2 months. Makes me wonder how well they QA products at Arlo.

AlizaE
Initiate
Initiate
It has not been fixed by the software update. I have Version 3.5 and have EXACTLY the same problem. I can’t get Chime 1 here anymore so can’t use that method of fixing this. Have been going back and forward with Arlo support over the last two weeks. They have asked me the same questions (type of modem, router, internet provider,, phone model etc, what devices I have connected to router) twice now. Despite answering them to the first support person, they escalated it and the next support person asked the exact same question and claims they can’t find the previous message where I answered them already!!
Like CLEARLY this is a known issue. If you aren’t going to recall your product then at least have a fix online that people can find without going through this hideously painful process of ever escalating support people and no help (1st 1 hour wait and useless “turn it off and back on again” advice from the online support person, then having to hear these app over again and be directed to the one page zero help fact sheet the last guy sent me to, then escalated again. Like if they knows it’s THIS issue why do they not just either a) send me the fix or b) tell me it can’t be fixed!!
Wasted hours and hours of my life and can’t get these to work which means my doorbell is a useless door decoration right now as only i know someone has pressed the doorbell!!!!!!!
JGetzen
Guide
Guide

I was able to connect using my wife's phone, but not mine. Weird, but it worked. If you have another iPhone, you might try that.

Niko24
Tutor
Tutor

OK so i finally got this to work. All the replies by Arlo employees above are useless.

What I did was:

1) Forget all Wifi connections in your home (or wherever you are trying to set up the Chime 2).  I have a Tri-Band router so it was 3 for me

2) Leave your cell connection on since the app needs to connect to the internet

3) Open the app and follow the instructions

4) Connect to the Arlo provided Wifi network

5) Select the Wifi network you want touse

6) Enter password for Wifi

7) Wait for the connection to fail.  You should get a red X and at the bottom it should give you the option to go to Wifi settings

8 ) Enter your Wifi settings

9) Success .... hopefully

What I think happens is that the Chime drops its self created Wifi when I tries to connect to the home Wifi and your phone sees the Arlo wifi disappears and connects automatically to your home Wifi and something gets messed up.  Hope this helps people and hopefully gets Arlo to fix this issue with the Chime 2 and makes it as easy as connected the doorbell.

whatsapp
Initiate
Initiate

I tried all the recommendations and I am using version 3.5.1 and I still cannot connect. Support today was very helpful but they also could not resolve the problem. I am waiting on the specialize support area tomorrow as I called late in the day and they were out of the office. I'll let you all know what they say tomorrow. 

whatsapp
Initiate
Initiate
I tried a reset and it did not work. I did tried with my daughters iPhone iOS 14.6 and was able to connect. My iPhone iOS 14.7.1 the latest iOS. I suspect you Arlo needs to update app to support iOS 14.7.1.
keverall
Initiate
Initiate

thank you so much Nico24. I have wasted 2 days on this at least. Your instructions worked perfectly. The google Arlo app didn't even show the connect to wifi names or password until I tried this. The only amendment is that the red x didn't appear neither did the wifi setting option. I just hit try again and the whole thing worked.

You should get paid by Arlo support for that, but then they would have someone partially competent. Oh well.

Niko24
Tutor
Tutor

I did feel like I missed a step so i guess it was the try again.  I tried to edit my posting but I couldn't.  Glad I could help

Stannous
Aspirant
Aspirant
Niko24, thank you so much for posting your solution. I ran into this exact same problem, and was extremely frustrated. Your solution worked like a charm.
Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 42 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation