Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Moza23
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have tried all the advice on the threads
- turned off the 5Mgz network didn’t work
- tried older phones -didn’t work
- factory reset still didn’t work

Chime is the worst bit of kit ever it seems this connection issue has been going on for years now and still no fix
11 REPLIES 11
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Moza23,

At what point during setup are you experiencing the issue? What error messages are you seeing?

JamesC

Moza23
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi James

I get through the setup process to the point where chime is trying to connect to my Wi-Fi network I select the network enter the password and it takes ages trying to connect. Then it just comes up with a Red Cross saying unable to connect. I then have 2 options
Try again
Or
Help
Thanks Paul
Moza23
Aspirant
Aspirant
I get the issue as outlined above it is when Chime is trying to connect to my home network.

I have tried factory re-setting and starting the process from the beginning a number of times and this doesn’t help.

Just to be clear I am trying to set up Chime 2 but have currently given up as I have run out of things to try. I am considering sending the whole thing back and replacing it with a Ring Door bell
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Moza23,

Do you have any special characters in your network SSID/Password? If so, this could be the reason the chime will not connect. Some users have had success setting up the chime using a guest network when special characters were part of the main network SSID/Password.

JamesC

Moza23
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi James,

I do indeed have special character in the password so I will give that a go and let you know how I get on.

P
Moza23
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi James

I am using a BT smart hub 2 which doesn’t allow me to setup a guest network so I reset the password removing the special characters but this still does not work!!

P
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Moza23 wrote:
I reset the password removing the special characters but this still does not work!!

Did you also remove them from the network name?  I've seen some posts from folks saying that _ doesn't work (unfortunately, Arlo doesn't give any guidance at all on what characters cause problems).

Moza23
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi Stephen,

I spoke to Arlo support and after trying resets etc they said the unit was faulty. I got a replacement from the shop I brought it and then had the same problems. However in did. In fact then remove all special characters from the password. The network name also had a - in so I removed that as well turned the 5ghz network off as well as turned mobile data off on the phone. Then went through the set up process again and it finally worked. So I am now up and running with Chime 2 and wireless doorbell. Give that a try I hope it works for you.
arnoh
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same issues, tried it more than a dozen times. Nothing worked. 

@Niko24 provided the solution for in this thread: Unable to install Chime 2

Followed the steps, however i connected with my 2,4Ghz network first to read the QR-code of the Chime2., otherwise the app would not continu. After that I removed the network before I carried on… this did the trick.

Insane it is made this complicated…

Notatechno
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m no techno so find the fix suggestions from users difficult to understand 

The doorbell and cameras all synched so easily

This Chime 2 totally sucks and is a bad wart in the product line - which seems to have been the subject of repeated threads from multiple disgruntled users before I had the misfortune of purchasing one today and trying to synch it multiple times via multiple devices using 2.4ghz - all to no avail

How hard can it be for Arlott to make this work as easily as its other products?

Why can’t it plug and play?

Notatechno
Aspirant
Aspirant

I managed to get it to work and retract my earlier comments. Turns out my phones were autocompleting the password for my Arlo account rather than the password for my 2.4ghz wifi system. So user error on this occasion - as a ‘notatecno’ person. Confusion solved. Product works

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation