Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
AntB
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi There, 

I have been enjoying the video doorbell a lot. I’ve been impressed with the motion capture and sound quality compared to my Arlo 2 cams. I wanted to share one thing that seems to be a miss. 

While I like the call to my cell when someone rings the doorbell, I don’t like that I can’t see the person at the door. Feels like it almost defeats the purpose of a video doorbell. I do like that you can see the video and hear the audio very well after the fact, but not seeing who rang the bell before you answer feels like a miss. Amazon deliveries, for example, often drop the package, ring the bell, and take off. This triggers a call and then leaves me talking to myself since no one is there. 

It would be great to have an option for it to trigger the in app video/audio instead of the phone call. Hopefully this is something that can be shared and considered for future updates. 

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AntB
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think I figured this out. It almost seems as if it needs to have an initial setup and then it will work. 

here is what I did- I accepted the call from the doorbell. While still on the call, I swiped up so I can see my apps and then opened the Arlo app. It brought me to the screen shown in step 2 of your link and not all the way in to the app! 

Subsequent calls now look different, with a blue slider on the bottom to answer the call vs. the typical iPhone display. As soon as I answer, it goes to the live video view like shown in your link. I guess it needs to somehow “connect” the app and phone call for the first time to then duplicate that behavior going forward. 

I appreciate your help @JamesC  and hope this thread assists others experiencing the same problem. Happy Thanksgiving to all! Very pleased with this set up now! 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AntB,

If the Arlo Video Doorbell is "Armed" it will detect and record motion, just like any other Arlo camera, without the doorbell button being pressed. Are you saying you'd like it to launch a live stream and the push to talk feature automatically when motion is detected?

JamesC

AntB
Apprentice
Apprentice
No sir. The camera features all work great. I am referring to the doorbell function. Once someone rings the doorbell, it activates a call on my phone. This results in me no longer having the ability to see who is at the door, only hear the audio, which kind of defeats the purpose of a video doorbell. If o didn’t see who was approaching the door before ringing the bell, I would have no idea who is there.

My recommendation would be to have an option to either receive the call when the doorbell is pressed OR launch live stream with audio in the app. The live stream with audio in the app would allow us to see and speak to whoever rang the bell. Hope that makes more sense. Thank you!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AntB,

Perhaps i'm misunderstanding but the Arlo Video Doorbell already does this. When you receive a call, after accepting the call you will see video and have an open mic with whoever rang the doorbell. Take a look here: How do I receive incoming calls on my smartphone from the Arlo Doorbell?

JamesC

AntB
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hmm, yes, what you linked is exactly what I am recommending. Perhaps I am doing something wrong then, because it is remaining as a voice call when I answer. I will check when I return home today and will report back. Appreciate your communication with me! I’ll update on my findings this evening. Thank you!!
AntB
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok, I was able to try tonight and the link you shared is definitely not what is happening. I receive the call like pictured in step 1 of the attached link, but it remains on that screen and never goes to what is pictured in step 2 (live video of the doorbell). 

I am on the most current version of iOS and have the latest Arlo app update for iOS. I also checked my iOS settings, and camera is enabled for Arlo. Any other suggestions? Do any other users see what @JamesC  shared in the link above? 

AntB
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think I figured this out. It almost seems as if it needs to have an initial setup and then it will work. 

here is what I did- I accepted the call from the doorbell. While still on the call, I swiped up so I can see my apps and then opened the Arlo app. It brought me to the screen shown in step 2 of your link and not all the way in to the app! 

Subsequent calls now look different, with a blue slider on the bottom to answer the call vs. the typical iPhone display. As soon as I answer, it goes to the live video view like shown in your link. I guess it needs to somehow “connect” the app and phone call for the first time to then duplicate that behavior going forward. 

I appreciate your help @JamesC  and hope this thread assists others experiencing the same problem. Happy Thanksgiving to all! Very pleased with this set up now! 

Suavechef
Aspirant
Aspirant
@AntB Apple has changed the way that SIP calls are handled on iOS 13. If you phone is locked you will only be able to get a standard voice call. Although after watching this video (https://youtu.be/BbR9fykHX2c) it appears you have an option from the call screen to launch the live video In the Arlo app.

If you receive the call while the phone is unlocked it should put you into the video call that I believe you are expecting.
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation