Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Smart Hub vs Cloud

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Mkstretch
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m looking into switching to Arlo from ring and I’m confused with if I need the pay for Arlo cloud storage if I have an Arlo hub.  Also will I get the same features on my doorbell with the cloud on the hub?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mkstretch wrote:

I’m looking into switching to Arlo from ring and I’m confused with if I need the pay for Arlo cloud storage if I have an Arlo hub.  Also will I get the same features on my doorbell with the cloud on the hub?

FYI, in the US the VMB4540 currently lists for $99.  A single camera premier subscription is $2.99/month.  So the breakeven point for going with a smarthub instead of a plan is about 33 months. (This assumes you are only getting the doorbell, and don't have other Arlo cameras that can use a smarthub).

The newer cameras (including the video doorbells) all require a paid subscription for cloud storage.  A paid subscription is also required to get activity zones.  Many doorbells really need activity zones, since they can't be aimed.  My own front doorbell picks up a fairly busy street and public sidewalk, and I'd get a flood of recordings and notifications if I didnt' have activity zones enabled.  (BTW, if you have have a similar situation, you should get the AVD1001 instead of the AVD2001.  The AVD1001 is powered from the doorbell circuitry, the AVD2001 runs only off of battery).

If you get an AVD1001 doorbell and a smarthub (VMB5000 or VMB4540), you can pair the doorbell to the smarthub (instead of using your home wifi).  You can then set up direct access to local storage, and potentially use that instead of cloud storage.

Though that is used by many here, I don't recommend using local storage instead of cloud storage myself.  It has some significant limitations:

• Videos can only be viewed directly from the app, and not the browser
  • Videos can only be viewed from the main account (a problem if you have multiple family members who need access)
  • Videos need to be downloaded to your device before playback.
  • thumbnails aren't available until the video is downloaded
  • It can be difficult to get direct access to work when you are away from home.

I do have direct access enabled, but only use it as a backup..

The AVD2001 doesn't currently allow you to pair it with a smarthub.  That feature is planned - but there is no ETA.  So if this is a must-have feature for you, I recommend getting the AVD1001 instead.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It depends on the cameras you're thinking of buying. Anything newer than the Pro 2 (Ultras, Pro 3 and 4, and doorbells) require a subscription for cloud recordings. You could use local recordings when the cameras are connected to a hub but that doesn't work like the cloud recordings (no thumbnails, need to use port forwarding or a VPN to view the recordings remotely). Note that you must have cameras connected to the hub for local recordings - connection to WiFi won't work.

And the doorbell works the same as the other cameras whether paying for a sub or just using local recordings when connected to a hub.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mkstretch wrote:

FYI, in the US the VMB4540 currently lists for $99.  A single camera premier subscription is $2.99/month.  So the breakeven point for going with a smarthub instead of a plan is about 33 months. (This assumes you are only getting the doorbell, and don't have other Arlo cameras that can use a smarthub).

The newer cameras (including the video doorbells) all require a paid subscription for cloud storage.  A paid subscription is also required to get activity zones.  Many doorbells really need activity zones, since they can't be aimed.  My own front doorbell picks up a fairly busy street and public sidewalk, and I'd get a flood of recordings and notifications if I didnt' have activity zones enabled.  (BTW, if you have have a similar situation, you should get the AVD1001 instead of the AVD2001.  The AVD1001 is powered from the doorbell circuitry, the AVD2001 runs only off of battery).

If you get an AVD1001 doorbell and a smarthub (VMB5000 or VMB4540), you can pair the doorbell to the smarthub (instead of using your home wifi).  You can then set up direct access to local storage, and potentially use that instead of cloud storage.

Though that is used by many here, I don't recommend using local storage instead of cloud storage myself.  It has some significant limitations:

• Videos can only be viewed directly from the app, and not the browser
  • Videos can only be viewed from the main account (a problem if you have multiple family members who need access)
  • Videos need to be downloaded to your device before playback.
  • thumbnails aren't available until the video is downloaded
  • It can be difficult to get direct access to work when you are away from home.

I do have direct access enabled, but only use it as a backup..

The AVD2001 doesn't currently allow you to pair it with a smarthub.  That feature is planned - but there is no ETA.  So if this is a must-have feature for you, I recommend getting the AVD1001 instead.

Mkstretch
Aspirant
Aspirant
Great! Thanks so much for all the great information!
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation