Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Por Forwarding Killing My Phone Battery

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Manolo86
Apprentice
Apprentice
Port forwarding is finally working after recent app and firmware updates. However, enabling port forwarding is still killing my phone's battery. Contacting support was useless as usual. They couldn't comprehend that the phone and not camera batteries were the issue. They replied with some generic garbage about the camera batteries. Anyway, I've tried disabling background activity and ensuring "always on top" was disabled on my S10+, but to no effect. This is only an issue when port forwarding is enabled. The app details show above 35% battery usage and over 10 hours active time. Deleting cache and force stopping the app helps a little, but who wants to keep doing that? Please fix it!
3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't see how port forwarding can be an issue since the only time it's used is when you choose to look at the local recordings in the library. I suppose there could be somehow an issue if you always left the library set to view local recordings instead of the cloud but that would seem to be a stretch, indicating that the app, even though backgrounded, is constantly accessing your router. Make sure the library is set to view the cloud recordings and see if that makes a difference.

Manolo86
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have already tried everything. The ONLY thing that works is turning off port forwarding or deleting cache every time I notice the drain. Today, I was at work and felt my phone burning my leg in my pocket. I deleted cache and the drain stopped. The app never says it uses background resources, it always says "active" for however many hours since charged. I have background activity turned off, and it's the same as if I had it on. I never had this problem when port forwarding wasn't working and I kept it disabled. Every time I tried it would drain the battery anyway. I don't know why, but it's linked to port forwarding.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Open a case using the Contact Support link at the bottom here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation