Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Office Monitor for Arlo Doorbell?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Carlo2020
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have Arlo cameras in my small office and would like to put an Arlo Video Doorbell in too.  We keep the door locked for security reasons and we currently use a standalone video doorbell.  The Arlo would let me answer when nobody is in office.  Is there a way to put a monitor or ipad in the office so that the staff could see and hear who is at the door without having access to change settings or see camera views?  Also, could I share the doorbell with other staff without sharing the camera data?

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

By putting a tablet in the office you would get calls if someone pushes the doorbell and notifications of recorded videos if set up to do so. It would be best to use a second account for this tablet that was granted access from the primary account without the additional access setting. Check the FAQ here in the support area for details as to what access any person would have that was in the office. However, anyone who accesses the tablet would potentially be able to see all videos through the app. As long as the app isn't in the foreground the videos wouldn't be seen but that's called "security by obscurity". If they don't know it's there, they wouldn't check - until they did.

As for "share the doorbell with other staff without sharing the camera data", what do you mean by that? Basically, it's the same thing as what I described above - granting access to anyone else gives them access to videos/"camera data".

Carlo2020
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the detailed answer, you hit all the points I’m concerned with. Unfortunately it makes me feel like our old-school video doorbell may still be a better fit for our needs. I would like people to be able to see the doorbell when they’re in the office but not have any access to system controls or videos.

Maybe I could use a completely separate base station and account for this?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes although you could just connect the doorbell to your WiFi instead of using the base, if you don't care about features like local recording. The doorbell on its own account may be the best solution.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation