Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Nicor Prime Chime Plus 2

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
BlueChip
Follower
Follower
So I know there have been several post about the Nicor chime boxes not being compatible with Arlo video doorbell also the Prime Chime Plus not working either. Nicor released a new product Prime Chime Plus2 recently. They claim this one will actually work on Arlo video doorbell. I purchased unit and wanted to see if anyone here has installed one and if so did it work. Also any pointers that you can give on connecting the power kit would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
10 REPLIES 10
Shmarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello BlueChip

I was hoping to find out if you successfully installed your doorbell with the Nicor Prime Chime Plus2. I just purchased both items and thought I would check before I attempted the install myself. Any feed back is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MrLB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any luck installing these items? I'm curious to find out if the new prime chime works with the video doorbell too. Any update would be appreciated.

Shmarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm currently waiting for a wall mounting plate to arrive. The hole for the doorbell wire is larger than the width of the new doorbell. Hopefully this weekend. Good luck with your install.

tfoster2006
Initiate
Initiate

After more than an hour on the phone with technical support, they told me to skip installing the power kit. Just to be clear, I have the NICOR PRCP2 Prime Chime Plus Door Chime. So far it seems to be working. 

Mearpond
Tutor
Tutor

Did you have any issues with the doorbell continually chiming?

here2000
Aspirant
Aspirant

So you just connect the Arlo device to ports 1 and 2 on the NIcor prime?

dvasquez1975
Initiate
Initiate

I had the same issue.  Connected the power dongle and it just kept ringing and ringing.  I removed the power dongle and just left the door chime like it was originally setup which was front door + and -.  I connected the Arlo door bell to the two wires from my old push button door bell and left it for about 5 minutes.  When I returned the circle was white and I was able to use my app to set it up.  I wish Arlo would fix their video saying you need to use the power dongle in order for the doorbell to work.  That is inaccurate and caused me over 2 hours of troubleshooting for no reason.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dvasquez1975 wrote:

I wish Arlo would fix their video saying you need to use the power dongle in order for the doorbell to work.  That is inaccurate and caused me over 2 hours of troubleshooting for no reason.  

Actually you do need it.  If the power dongle isn't working, then that is a sign that something is wrong with the circuit.

FWIW, I had a similar scenario when I first installed the doorbell.  After quite a bit of help from Arlo, we isolated it to the transformer.  

Mearpond
Tutor
Tutor
I actually disagree with you on this one. I have the correct transformer bell combo and I don't use the dongle.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mearpond wrote:
I have the correct transformer bell combo and I don't use the dongle.

I did too.   It seemed to work correctly w/o the dongle, but didn't work with it.   The transformer voltage and power rating was within spec, and the voltage at the doorbell measured correctly with my meter. 

However, Arlo (engineering) was concerned.  W/o the dongle, there is always some current running through the chime because the doorbell is always drawing some power.  The purpose of the dongle is to divert that current (through the dongle) when the doorbell isn't being pressed.   

Chimes aren't designed for a constant current load, and I was told there was some risk of damage to the chime if I ran w/o the dongle over the the long haul. 

Eventually we replaced the transformer, even though it measured ok.  After that, the power kit worked properly.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation