Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Nicor PRCP2

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
KCP76
Aspirant
Aspirant
There have been several discussions started regarding the the Nicor PRCP2. Has there ever been a clear answer whether or not doorbells can be wired directly to chime? Alternatively if anyone has used the power dongle, how have you wired it I cannot seem to get it to work and my chime is brand new?
3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@KCP76 wrote:
There have been several discussions started regarding the the Nicor PRCP2. Has there ever been a clear answer whether or not doorbells can be wired directly to chime? Alternatively if anyone has used the power dongle, how have you wired it I cannot seem to get it to work and my chime is brand new?

Nicor's installation manual says it will work with one (but not 2) AVD1001 doorbells.  They don't mention the AVD2001.

Their installation manual also says not to use the power dongle, as the PRCP2 has that functionality built in.

Does the chime work with an ordinary doorbell?

KCP76
Aspirant
Aspirant

StephenB, I have the AVD1001.  Funny thing I had 2 hooked up and I had quite a few issues. Oddly with the one furthest away from the chime...I am sure that was purely coincidental though.  I have removed that one and just sticking with one doorbell at this time, only been 48 hours so we will see how it goes.  I was experiencing random power disconnects specifically when the temp was dropping. 

Have you had experience wiring the power dongle into the PRCP2 at all?  If so how did you do it?  I tried several ways and was never able to achieve success.  

KCP76

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@KCP76 wrote:

Have you had experience wiring the power dongle into the PRCP2 at all?  If so how did you do it?  I tried several ways and was never able to achieve success.  

I don't own that chime, so my info was based on Nicor's installation instructions: https://nicorlighting.com/product/prcp2-primechime-plus-2/

Video Doorbell Compatibility Notes
For all video doorbells:
1) To ensure proper operation of the PRCP2, no more than one video doorbell should be attached (Front Door or Back Door)
2) Make sure the video doorbell is fully charged prior to installation. Low battery levels may cause abnormal performance of the PRCP2.
3) Wiring must not exceed the following: 70’ from doorbell to first unit. 200’ total length if installing more than one PRCP2
4) A “power” or “diode” kit should not be installed when using the NICOR PRCP2. It is designed to provide the proper voltage for compatible video doorbells.

Based on this info, I wouldn't attempt to install the power kit.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation