Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
fbofficial
Initiate
Initiate

FYI...forget the model section...it would not allow me to use this forum without adding something there.

Just wanted to let you know that I purchased the New Arlo Video Doorbell two days ago and still don't have it working. I'm not the best person for doing projects, but this one didn't appear to be that difficult. 

When I initially got it installed (it rang my doorbell inside the house) it connected to my internet without an issue and then began to update the software. Well the updated failed and my app showed a failed message. Some of the troubleshoot info stated that I should have a 2.4GHz network (my network is both 2.4 and 5). In spite of that I tried to change the network, then I tried to disconnect it from my network (removing it via my app) and nothing. I then tried starting all over again and can no longer get the doorbell to connect to my internet, so my son decided to press the video doorbell button and it called my phone, but still no video and the doorbell inside my house didn't ring. I probably should have just gotten a Ring doorbell, but though I would be able to integrate the new Arlo Ultra Video Security Camera System into the mix, but from reading your posts, it doesn't look like that's an option.

If anyone has any bright ideas on what to try next, please let me know. I've had a horrible time trying to find a phone number for Arlo, but again from many of the posts I've seen that will probably be futile anyway. Hoping to find help here. 

9 REPLIES 9
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

fbofficial,

If you removed the doorbell from your app, you may need to factory reset the doorbell before trying to go through set up again.

To factory reset the doorbell, take a look here: How do I reset my Arlo Video Doorbell?

After you've completed the reset, try going through set up again and let us know the results. Your mobile device and the Video Doorbell must be connected to 2.4GHz WiFi for this to complete setup.

If you would like to talk to a support agent, you can contact Arlo Support here: Arlo Support

JamesC

fbofficial
Initiate
Initiate
Thanks for all your help I tried your suggestions, but still couldn’t get it to work. Bought a Ring and it’s working great.
Thanks again for taking the time to help me.
CCHAM
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have buyer’s remorse after spending 2 weeks trying to figure out how to install the Arlo video doorbell, finally hiring a handyman, calling my Internet service provider twice to figure out how to set up an exclusive 2.4 network, contacting Arlo support (on the phone for 45 minutes) to do a factory reset (at least 10 times) and not necessarily in that order! It does work, but now I find that the video is stored in the cloud and I have to fork over a monthly subscription fee after 90 days.  I waited for Arlo to produce a video doorbell so I could have a single security system WITHOUT a monthly subscription. I am extremely disappointed in Netgear/Arlo’s decision to go the subscription route, and will recommend to my network of friends who are looking for recommendations to avoid Arlo!  I feel this is “bait and switch” marketing.

Burdo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ios 13.3
Arlo app 2.12.2
Arlo pro 3
dread33
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issues with it , will return

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

dread33,

Could you provide more details about what you're experiencing? Firmware updates will automatically install overnight, are you still experiencing an issue getting the firmware update?

JamesC

ANGELAG
Guide
Guide

Do we REALLY have to pay a monthly fee with the ARLO doorbell?  The entire reason I spent a fortune on ARLO 4K cameras was to NOT have a monthly fee.  Calling ARLO NOW.  BTW - electrician out - having same connection issues as everyone else on this forum. 

JJAdV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same for me with the audio doorbell. I thought it would be perfect, small neat and linking in with the Arlo Ultra, but they just don't work. To many issues to list. 

Returned it. Ring been working ever since. 

I was really disappointed and wanted the Arlo to work so bad. I like the Arlo app and way they answer the doorbell better..

ANGELAG
Guide
Guide

After 9 factory resets and disconnecting the video doorbell from my app I finally have it working.  The video doorbell is not even close to as easy to work with as the 4k cameras.  Hired an electrician to connect the wiring and mount it so that part was easy of course as someone else did it - and correctly I will add.  The problem is having to take it off the wall, push the tiny little reset button on the back of it every single time it doesn't connect to your internet.  It doesn't search for the internet, you have to name your  internet , passcode and reset on the back every single time it doesn't connect, which for me at least took nine times.  Had to delete it from my app and reload it to get it to work even though it connected to the internet as soon as the electrician set it up.  The failure to load the firmware update is what made it disconnect making me go through nine more efforts.  Suggestion:  If it says it's disconnected from the internet - don't bother trying to connect again.  Delete it from your app and start over as it will never connect again unless you do.  Secondly - ARLO - you need to have better instructions.  An app that just says disconnected and only prompts you to "change" the internet you are connecting to is BS.  Once you change it, you need to start all over again with naming the internet and passcode and reset on the back of the device and you will do this again and again and it will never connect.  You MUST remove the app and start over for it to work.  State this in your instructions please to save everyone HOURS of resetting on the back of the doorbell over and over again to learn that it does not work. (see all posts - most people returned it at this level)   When you provide poor customer service verbally to your customers - at least make sure you have detailed how to videos and accurate instructions.  Almost returned this product but I'm a determined person - most people would give up and return it.  Secondly - don't put your reset button in between two wires that say not to touch them for fear of electric shock.  Really?  The little reset button needs to be located in better positioning to reach it when you have to do it for three hours straight to get something to work.  It's within centimeters of your cautioning of electric shock.  I'm sure this sounds like a rant but come on, these systems aren't cheap, we deserve better for the money especially when your hold times are ridiculous to get help.  Another note, I have the ARLO 4K system installed, it was easy so I believe I'm pretty accurate in saying your video doorbell is not AND, the cameras have a FAR better view of the property than the doorbell.  Not only are they much clearer which I'm sure it to do with the 4k version I bought but the side to side viewing angles go WAY further than the doorbell.  Woke up this morning and looked at the cam still installed prior to the doorbell and then the doorbell video.  The doorbell was still showing it being dark outside where the camera was showing daylight - sounds like the doorbell has some light issues.  (My porch light was on and right close to the video doorbell and as still dark on doorbell screen) You may as well just install a camera at your door for all these problems considering they are easier to install than the doorbell, have more functionality and better viewing angles.  Only benefit to the doorbell as it's not as easy to steel as the cameras.  Dissappointed but it will stay as I'm beyond my return period.  

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation