Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Local Storage of Videos not working

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Shinymachine
Aspirant
Aspirant
The video doorbell seems to have stopped recording videos locally, seemingly around the same time the promotional period of the cloud service had stopped. Tonight I’ve deleted then re-added the doorbell, updated to the latest firmware on the base station. Deleted the iOS app and re-added it. Still no sign of any video thumbnails of the recording. I’m quite frustrated and concerned as the features for these cameras has actually gotten worse over time. I’m dealing with a real creeper in the neighborhood who’s peering through windows and I reeealy need this working. Please advise!
10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The use of local-only recordings won't give you thumbnails until you select one to view. Does the local storage setting for the base/hub show the storage? Remember that it has to be at least 16GB to be used these days (firmware change). If you safely eject the drive and view on a computer do you see the videos? Any and all details will help.

Shinymachine
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi jguerdat, thanks for the quick reply!

I have local recording turned on. I have a 60gb sd card inserted. I've armed the doorbell to record when motion is detected. I've walked past the doorbell multiple times and when I do I get a notification that the doorbell has detected motion but when I look on my Library tab in the Arlo iOS app I see "no recordings". I have it set to "if motion detected: record video". No video. I've ejected the sd card to see if it's simply stored there (and not updating with a thumbnail in the app) and have not found recordings since I started this troubleshooting process. 

Shinymachine
Aspirant
Aspirant

Update on specifics of this troubleshoot: ONE of the Arlo Pro 2 cameras will record when armed in the default "Armed" mode setting. The second Arlo Pro 2 camera and the Video Doorbell do not.

The same is true when I use a custom mode where it's strictly the doorbell recording on motion, it never records to the library.

All of these individual cameras all have the same rules applied. When there is motion they start recording. Still, only one camera records to local storage.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I think it's time for a system reset. Remove all devices from Settings, My Devices and start fresh. Be sure to note all settings, modes, rules, schedule, etc. to speed the rebuild.

Shinymachine
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey jguerdat,

I've followed instructions you've listed. Since this process I now have the two Arlo Pro 2 cameras recording local but the video doorbell still does not record to the local drive. I receive simple motion notifications from the doorbell but nothing else. I'm working from the default "Armed" mode only.

What am I missing?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The doorbell has to be connected to a base or hub for local recordings. Connection to WiFi doesn't allow this.

Shinymachine
Aspirant
Aspirant

The video doorbell has been connected to the base station for each system and camera reset variety I've tried in the past four days.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You got me there. All I can suggest is to use the Contact Support link at the bottom here to see what they might suggest.

Shinymachine
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for trying jguerdat! I really appreciate it.

Shinymachine
Aspirant
Aspirant

Update for those with the same issue: I reached out to support and they asked me to do the same things I've already tried here. I replied with the info they requested and it's been a month with no response. 

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation