Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Linusl
Luminary
Luminary

Like Nest Hello https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/25070366?hl=en it is possible to install without existing chime.

Is it really not possible to install the Arlo Video Doorbell with just a plug in transformer or din? Is it because it might stop recording when someone presses the Arlo Video doorbell? With Nest you can connect it like the url above shows to make it work.

Is it possible to do the same with Arlos Video Doorbell? If so, can you post the wiring diagram here?

There are alot of us that do not have old school doorbells installed anymore but would like a wired video doorbell.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Linusl wrote:

is [it] possible to install without existing chime.

Yes, it is possible.

You would connect up a transformer to your AC power, and then just run the two wires from the low-voltage output to the doorbell.  No power kit is required.  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Linusl wrote:

is [it] possible to install without existing chime.

Yes, it is possible.

You would connect up a transformer to your AC power, and then just run the two wires from the low-voltage output to the doorbell.  No power kit is required.  

Linusl
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks.

I asked because everywhere I read it said a chime was required and power kit is required for the Video doorbell to function. Guess those pages about requirements should get updated.

I know nest hello does not function well unless you connect the ac transformer to the their version of the power kit even though you do not have a chime. But reading your answer I understand arlo power kit is not needed at all.

So my next question then would be if video doorbell works with the chime used for audio doorbell? I have heard/read it does not so I need to ask if this is true. Not all in our household has the arlo app (my kids) and they need to hear if someone rings the door when we parents are not home. With nest hello it chimes/rings in all googlehome devices. How about arlo? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Linusl wrote:

But reading your answer I understand arlo power kit is not needed at all.

I believe that is true, though I haven't actually set it up that way.  @jguerdat has, so hopefully he will confirm.

@Linusl wrote:

So my next question then would be if video doorbell works with the chime used for audio doorbell? 

Not at present, though there's been a lot of requests for that here.  So it wouldn't surprise me if it were on their to-do list.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My house has no existing chime but works well with the phone app. I don't get a chime to sound but the phone alerts me properly instead.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation