Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
robertox
Guide
Guide

What are the internet speed requirements for the Arlo video doorbell?

I set one up yesterday for my parents. There is a notable lag with the video, and the audio is garbled.

Since their internet connection is Century Link DSL, with 10 Mbps down and 0.9 Mbps up, I suspect this is the problem.

The doorbell is connected directly to the wi-fi and not the existing hub that is used for their Arlo Pro 2 cameras.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Mark-V
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @robertox,

You are correct that the bandwidth is likely the problem. Our Arlo Video Doorbells require 2 Mbps upload speed for the video bandwidth. You might be able to lower the video quality within the Video Settings for the doorbell and get it to work, but ultimately higher bandwidth is the better solution.

Arlo Bandwidth Requirements Article: https://kb.arlo.com/000062043/What-are-the-minimum-requirements-for-installing-and-using-my-Arlo-sys...

Thank you,

Mark V

L3 Tech

Jozey
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem after successfully installing the Arlo video doorbell...when person rings the doorbell, the first minute of video is very good quality and so is the audio but soon after it all starts lagging, the app on my phone shows video not only pixelated but delays of 20 seconds or so but also showing a gray area that hides the video and the audio is also delayed for 20 seconds or so and not understandable, all broken up.  I also have Centurylink as my internet service with a Centurylink router of 2.4 GHZ and my internet speed is 20mbps download and 1.5 mbps upload.  I'm assuming that my upload speed is also too low to keep a good connection to the video doorbell? Is this the only thing that could be the problem for this issue, because if it is than I can try to upgrade the speed at Centurylink, do you suggest what is a good upload speed number that I will need for this model video doorbell?    PS: to Robertox, if you already upgraded the speed to fix this issue, can you please tell me if that worked?  Thanks!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jozey,

As mentioned above, Arlo Video Doorbell requires 2 Mbps upload speed. You could try lowering the video resolution of your doorbell and test to see if that improves your experience. You can find the resolution settings within the Arlo mobile app at Settings > My Devices > select your doorbell > Video Settings > Video Resolution.

JamesC

BluPenny
Aspirant
Aspirant
We have Ting fiber for internet and when we try to set up the doorbell it says no devices found.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BluPenny wrote:
We have Ting fiber for internet and when we try to set up the doorbell it says no devices found.

That's a different question than the one answered here.  Have you tried the steps here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062328/My-Arlo-Essential-Video-Doorbell-wasn-t-found-during-setup-what-do-I-d... ?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation