Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Installing Arlo Doorball with no space where previous doorbell is

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Instegone
Guide
Guide

I currently live in an TH, and it seems the builders never accounted for a Doorbell more then 3 mm wide.   I'm wondering what the best way to install an Arlo Video Doorbell would be.     The current doorbell fits in very tiny area between the storm door and the brick siding (see photos).     Any suggestions?

Resized_20201118_085921_resized.jpegResized_20201118_085923_resized.jpeg

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While it may be clumsy/ugly, could you create a spacer that would allow you to attach the spacer to the frame and then the doorbell to the spacer?

Instegone
Guide
Guide

To be honest, I'm not that technically inclined when it comes to handyman sort of stuff.  Could you sort of explain more what you mean?    Like something that sticks completely out of the Door frame and them mount the doorbell on that?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Basically, yes. I would see a strip of wood deep enough to get past the brick (measure the distance between the door frame and the outer surface of the brick to see what size you need) and then cut a piece of wood the length of the doorbell and the depth you just measured - I could see it being a piece of 1"x2" that may need some additional trimming. Drill a couple of holes through the wood for screws that attach it to the frame. Don't overtighten it to prevent splitting the wood. I might also see a perpendicular piece of wood being attached to this spacer to actually mount the doorbell onto - it all depends on the spacing and overall needs. I'm sure a neighbor or friend would be able to help - it's not rocket science.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation