Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

I have two mechanical chimes -- how many power kits do I need?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
joyjit
Guide
Guide

Hi,

I am thinking of buying the Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell .

My house is currently wired with a traditional (push button) doorbell, and TWO mechanical chimes (one upstairs, one downstairs). The transformer is NuTone C907 16V 30VA

Would I need to connect a power kit to each of the mechanical chimes? If so, where can I get an extra set? (the box includes only one)

Thanks very much in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@joyjit wrote:

Would I need to connect a power kit to each of the mechanical chimes? If so, where can I get an extra set? (the box includes only one)

If the two chimes are wired properly (in parallel) you only need one power kit.

You can check that they are in parallel by simply disconnecting the wires on one of the chimes.  If the other still rings when you press your existing doorbell, then they are wired in parallel.

Some chimes aren't compatible - what model(s) do you have?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@joyjit wrote:

If the two chimes are wired properly (in parallel) you only need one power kit.

You can check that they are in parallel by simply disconnecting the wires on one of the chimes.  If the other still rings when you press your existing doorbell, then they are wired in parallel.

Some chimes aren't compatible - what model(s) do you have?

joyjit
Guide
Guide

Thank you @StephenB 

As pointed out by you in this other thread, I did verify that my two mechanical chimes are wired "in parallel" to each other.

I have now installed my Arlo Video Doorbell (Wired) with the power kit installed on one of the mechanical chimes.

And everything works great.

(And I have the Newhouse Hardware CHMI1 chimes)

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation