Electronic in wall chime

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
SumoNinja
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just bought the video doorbell, however I have an electronic chime. The setup only has steps for a traditional mechanical chime. Do I need the power adapter that is included in with the doorbell? I have had conflicting responses from support. 

thank you for your time and assistance 

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

What model is the chime? (please provide both manufacturer and model number)

SumoNinja
Aspirant
Aspirant

I cannot find the brand. There are no terminals on the in wall electronic chime. It looks almost identical to this one

https://a.co/d/b4MnP7J

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SumoNinja wrote:

I cannot find the brand.

That is unfortunate, as we need to guess if we can't look at the specs and install manual.

Some newer chimes are designed with video doorbells in mind, and those don't need the power kit.  Others do.

@SumoNinja wrote:

It looks almost identical to this one

https://a.co/d/b4MnP7J

The install manual for this particular model says that you don't install the power kit, and also that you can only install one video doorbell.

FWIW, with this particular model you can pull the faceplate out.  Then there are some screws that attach the chime to the junction box (which is designed for the chime).  Then you can slide out the chime, and you'll see the terminals.

If your faceplate also has no screws, then you might also see if you can pull it out, and see what is underneath.  Hopefully there is a label...

SumoNinja
Aspirant
Aspirant

What is the worse case scenario if I hook it up without the adapter?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SumoNinja wrote:

What is the worse case scenario if I hook it up without the adapter?

The AVD1001 is always drawing power, so there is always electricity flowing through the circuit (that is, through the chime).  By contrast, normal doorbells are just simple switches, so power only flows when the doorbell is pressed.  The power kit diverts the normal power draw of the doorbell around the chime, and only allows power to reach the chime when the doorbell is pressed.

Most chimes were never designed to have power flowing through them all the time.  Some of those will buzz, or ring when the doorbell isn't being pressed.  That is just an annoyance.  But there is a safety concern, as the chime could overheat due to the continuous power.  The chime might just fail in that case, but there could potentially be a fire. 

I haven't seen any posts here of someone who's had that happen.  But it would be best to pull off the faceplate (which likely just has a friction fit), and find the chime model.

FWIW, other potential issues are that

• Your chime might actually be DC, and not low voltage AC.  In that case it isn't compatible with the doorbell.
  • The transformer built into the chime might not deliver enough voltage to power the doorbell.

Again, seeing the specs would allow us to sort that out.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation