Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Doorbell returned - does not work without fibre here

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My doorbell has gone back to Amazon, there were no warnings on Amazon about minimum internet upload speed and as I don't have fibre it simply is not fast enough and the doorbell has now gone back.

I have regular copper wire broadband with a reasonable speed of 8Mbps down & 1Mbps upload.
After fitting this doorbell I got really bad pixilation and no sound either way. After calling the helpline I'm told it needs 2Mbps upload to work, I could be wrong but I have never heard of anyone getting that level of upload speed on copper wire (in the UK).

I'm not paying for fibre as I have no need & I'm happy with what I have so my doorbell has gone back to Amazon. I'm not blaming Arlo, Amazon should have this requirement on their website. After removing the doorbell one of the fixing holes still shows on my UPVC doorframe which I am not happy about.

This was the requirements the helpdesk sent sent me which did not appear on Amazon:

Connectivity requirements
Your Arlo system requires the following:

• A high-speed Internet connection to sustain the following average bandwidth use per camera:
    • Arlo Ultra cameras: 3 Mbps upload per camera
    • Arlo Pro 3 and Video Doorbell: 2 Mbps upload per camera
    • All other Arlo cameras: 1 Mbps upload per camera
1 REPLY 1
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

kudos1uk,

Yes. Arlo Video Doorbell requires at minimum 2 Mbps upload. While the camera may still work with less, you will experience performance issues as you've described.

You can find more information about Arlo minimum requirements here: What are the minimum requirements for installing and using my Arlo system?

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation