Doorbell is not recording motion

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Dam7
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently added an Arlo wired video doorbell to my 5 camera Pro 2 system with smart hub vdm4500.  The doorbell camera works fine but it does not record video upon motion at the doorbell , it doesn’t record at all actually. I am unable to determine how to get it to record as that was the purpose of the purchase . All my cameras record motion in my system just not the new video doorbell. I do not want to purchase a subscription.  How I get this to work

4 REPLIES 4
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The simple approach is to buy a subscription for the doorbell to give you access to the cloud services.

Alternatively purchase a arlo arlo smarthub VMB4540 or VMB5000 to have in app access to local storage which has limitations.

Read carefully,

https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it-for-Arlo-video-recor... 

Dam7
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply .  Am I to understand these two suggested fixes are my only choices, I was hoping that the video doorbell would act as do the Pro 2 cameras ,,ie record movement to the smart hub I currently own.  If not that is certainly disappointing.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The arlo pro2 camera model were the last model to have the 7days free cloud storage, any model cameras or doorbells after require a paid subscription plan when their trial subscription period ends.

The Base stations VMB4000 and VMB4500 units record motion detected videos to the USB backup storage device but the USB needs to be ejected and recordings viewed from a pc.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dam7 wrote:

I was hoping that the video doorbell would act as do the Pro 2 cameras ,,ie record movement to the smart hub 

This might need some clarification.

All the video recordings you see in the app (and my.arlo.com) are being retrieved from the Arlo cloud.  They are not being retrieved from the VMB4500.  The ONLY way to see the local recordings with your base is to eject the USB drive and connect it to a PC.

The USB storage on your base was intended for backup, not really intended for operational use.  If the doorbell is paired with the base, you should see recordings on the USB drive (again, if you eject it and connect it to your PC).  But you won't see them in the app.

As @DannyBearAgain says, while your Pro 2 was sold with 7 days of free cloud storage, Arlo stopped doing that with new camera models back in 2018 - all the new models (including the video doorbells) require a subscription for cloud storage.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation