Doorbell constantly going offline

Discussion stats
  • 27 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
ewto16
Tutor
Tutor

My wired Arlo doorbell started going offline about once every two weeks two months ago. Once it is offline, the only thing I can go is turn the power off to it for like 30 minutes and then turn it back on. That resets it and brings it back to life. Doing so requires turning off a breaker that shuts down a fairly significant portion of the house, so this is super inconvenient.

Anyone else having this problem? It worked just fine previously. My network hasn't changed at home and there's no reason for it not to be getting plenty of power.

27 REPLIES 27
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@ewto16 

Does it lose all power to the camera? Do the lights activate or do anything when pressed?

ewto16
Tutor
Tutor

No, it appears to still have power. It will still ring the chime if I recall correctly. It will still throw alerts until you open the app and then it stops sending them.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you pm me with the admin email associated with the account.

ewto16
Tutor
Tutor

I'm not particularly sure what you are asking for. You want the email account that is associated with my Arlo Secure account?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Correct.

ewto16
Tutor
Tutor

Sent

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Do you have the latest version of the app installed? Also, Do you have a screenshot of the error massage? Does the web portal show it offline when the symptom occurs?

ewto16
Tutor
Tutor

1000011978.png

1000011977.png

The web portal shows the same message as the app.

Given that it is now offline yet again, I just checked and the doorbell does indeed ring so it clearly has power.

Dmurphy57
Initiate
Initiate

I'm having the same issue. The camera goes offline randomly and will not reconnect despite the wifi being fine. The only way I can get it to reconnect is if I go through the whole ordeal of manually resetting the doorbell. I go out of town a lot and this defeats the purpose of having a security camera that doesn't work. Arlo, this is extremely frustrating.

Xp123
Initiate
Initiate

I’m here for the same issue. So frustrating and it makes me want to switch back to Ring. Huge waste of time and no peace of mind when I’m out of town. 

ewto16
Tutor
Tutor

Why did you switch from Ring? That's what I'm looking at switching to if this doesn't get figured out. It looks to be the best ecosystem overall for the price. I also assume that it will actually have support unlike what I appear to get with Arlo.

Dmurphy57
Initiate
Initiate

I do not know if this fixes it but I upgraded the Arlo app and suddenly the camera is online 🙄

It does not suggest upgrading in-app, I had to "add another device" to prompt the update

ewto16
Tutor
Tutor

While that did force an app update, it didn't fix my problem. My camera still shows offline. Granted I wasn't home at the time, but I doubt that would make a difference.

One thing I've noticed is that when this happens, the camera loses the SSID of the network. When I reboot it, it magically remembers it. It seems rather strange that the camera is just forgetting the SSID for some reason and never trying to reconnect on it. You would think the camera wouldn't be so stupid to not reconnect to the SSID when it goes offline and it clearly isn't since it does when rebooted.

That SSID is constantly available and has a few different things connected to it. It doesn't drop, change, or move, so there's no reason for the doorbell to lose connection. Even if it did, it should smartly reconnect, like it does when rebooted.

1000012008.png

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi all, 

Are your doorbells still appearing as offline in the App and web portal?

Thanks 

dingdong_1
Tutor
Tutor

Same issue here.  Power and Wi-Fi are definitely not the problem. 

I pay way too much per month for this to be happening... going to dump it if they don't fix this ASAP.

ewto16
Tutor
Tutor

It is still offline in the app. I'll have to check the web portal tomorrow but I can't imagine any reason why it wouldn't be. It never comes back online until I drop power to it.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for all the detailed information, I have not notified the team and I'll report back as soon as possible.

ewto16
Tutor
Tutor

I checked the web portal. It's still offline in that as well, as I expected.

ewto16
Tutor
Tutor

My doorbell has been down for three days now. I'm going to reboot it tonight for the last time. If it goes offline again, Arlo is losing a customer.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thanks for the update. The development team is investigating this. I'll report back as soon as I receive more info.

ewto16
Tutor
Tutor

Have you heard anything back yet? This is obviously a common issue.

Xp123
Initiate
Initiate

We had an early version of a Ring doorbell and it stopped working after 6-7 years. I thought Arlo looked like a better deal/better camera so I switched. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for the info @ewto16 

@Xp123 I'm waiting for some additional info from the Development team. 

ewto16
Tutor
Tutor

Rebooting my doorbell today. Writing this as a marker so I can see how long it lasts before dying again.

Discussion stats
  • 27 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation