Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Doorbell - can't turn off like my cameras

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Nancydrew
Tutor
Tutor
Why can’t I turn off my Arlo doorbell in the same manner as my cameras? Where’s the toggle switch for the doorbell in the Arlo app?
5 REPLIES 5
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nancydrew,

The on/off feature is not available for the Arlo doorbell. If you would like to prevent the doorbell from recording on motion, you can choose to disarm from the Arlo mobile app under modes.

JamesC

Nancydrew
Tutor
Tutor
James,

If I do that, my camera on the exterior front door also disarms, which I wish to keep on. I should be able to disarm or arm any camera I want, which includes the doorbell.

So why doesn’t the app offer that feature for the doorbell? If Netgear believes I am not capable of turning on or off my very own cameras at will, then I guess I need to add Netgear , et al, to my personal boycott list and purchase cameras from Ring.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nancydrew wrote:

If I do that, my camera on the exterior front door also disarms, which I wish to keep on. I should be able to disarm or arm any camera I want, which includes the doorbell.

You can create a custom mode that doesn't include the doorbell (but which does include the other cameras).  Then selecting that mode will result in disarming the doorbell, but keep the other cameras armed.

@Nancydrew wrote:
If Netgear believes I am not capable of turning on or off my very own cameras at will, then I guess I need to add Netgear , et al, to my personal boycott list

Netgear divested Arlo back in 2018, so it hasn't been part of Netgear for quite a while.

Back on point, turning off a camera does more than disarm it.  I think there might be some disagreement on exactly what "off" would need to do on the doorbell. Would you expect turning the doorbell off to disable the ringer?  If not, if someone were to press the button when it was "off", would you expect a video call?   

FWIW, I don't think I'd use "on/off" for the doorbell, but I would like to see a restart function added.

Nancydrew
Tutor
Tutor
Are you kidding me? You think my creating a custom mode is easier than hitting a toggle switch to turn off the doorbell? BTW…. Off means off. No notifications, no video recordings, and no video calls either. I should be able to decide when and why I want the doorbell, and my other cameras, to be on or “off”.

Since my cameras have Netgear engraved on them, Netgear is the manufacturer. And since it has become very clear to me that Arlo or Netgear or whatever doesn’t see this as an annoyance to their customers, I will be forced to go elsewhere.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nancydrew wrote:
Since my cameras have Netgear engraved on them, Netgear is the manufacturer.

Sure, they manufactured the old ones.  But not since 2018.

@Nancydrew wrote:
You think my creating a custom mode is easier than hitting a toggle switch to turn off the doorbell? 

I'm just telling you what's possible.  I don't work for Arlo.

Creating a custom mode only needs to be done once, then activating it is as simple as the on/off.  But that won't turn off the doorbell chime, if you want to do that also you'll need to go into the doorbell settings.

@Nancydrew wrote:
And since it has become very clear to me that Arlo or Netgear or whatever doesn’t see this as an annoyance to their customers, I will be forced to go elsewhere.

Totally up to you of course.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation