Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 46 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Jason_A_Alex
Star
Star

I just purchased an Arlo Video Doorbell.  I have 4 Arlo cameras and a base station.  I have followed the instructions but can not get the doorbell connected.   If I follow the app, it finds a base station, checks for firmware updates, and then can never find the doorbell.  If I use the manual method, the doorbell flashes white, accepts the QR code and makes the sound, continues to flash white for a bit and then flashes red/amber (I can't really tell) but again never connects.  I have rebooted the base station,  rebooted my netgear orbi's, hacked the orbi's to only use 2.4 ghz.   I'm at a loss at what else I can do other than to return this piece of junk. 

Any help?

46 REPLIES 46
Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@GerryP  @CooleyRobb  @JamesC 

Update - March 31, 2020

Arlo SmartHubs - VMB5000 and VMB4540 are now compatible with the Arlo Video Doorbell.  Please ensure that your SmartHub firmware is updated to the latest version, as listed below.

VMB5000   1.16.1.1_475_71659aa

VMB4540   1.16.1.1_461_71659aa

VMB4000   1.16.1.1_3348_facf74c

VMB4500   1.16.1.1_3260_facf74c

To migrate your Arlo Video Doorbell from WiFi connection to your Arlo base-station or SmartHub, please remove it from your account, wait for the factory reset to complete (LED ring should be solid white) then re-onboard.

This is the full list of supported base-stations and SmartHubs for the Arlo Video Doorbell.

Thanks!

CooleyRobb
Tutor
Tutor
Yea I saw that the firmware was updated this morning so I tried it and it still will not connect to the smart hub. I reset the video doorbell and everything and it still does not connect. Only through WiFi
Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@CooleyRobb   Can you reply here with your SmartHub model and current firmware version, for both the SmartHub and Video Doorbell?  You should be able to find the firmware version under the Device Information in the app.

bubbie72
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also gave it a go and tried to connect my Arlo Ultra SmartHub VMB5000r4 (Firmware 1.16.1.1_47571659aa) with no success. No new firmware update was detected. Removed and reset my video door bell (Firmware 1.14.3.0_526_7d9145d_58d) and tried to connect but still no success. 

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@bubbie72   Sorry, let us take a look at your account and see if we can determine what is preventing it for you.

bubbie72
Aspirant
Aspirant
CooleyRobb
Tutor
Tutor

smarthub firmware 1.16.1.1_461_71659aa model VMB4540r2

video doorbell firmware 1.14.3.0_526_7d9145d_58dd815 model AVD1001Ar1.2

GerryP
Tutor
Tutor

Same situation here. Verified my Hub Base station running Firmware: 1.16.1.1_475_71659aa

Removed my Arlo Video Doorbell, rah through the add device wizard. Failed finding the device. 
Performed a hard reset of the Video Doorbell by pressing the button in back for 15 seconds, ran wizard again, Failed again. 
Tried a third time, this time holding the doorbell button and reset button simultaneously for 15 seconds, again Failed. 
Trying from an iOS device on the same WiFi network as my Base station.

This has been very frustrating and a waste of time.

how do we make this work?

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@GerryP  @bubbie72 

Thanks for your patience - our development and QA teams are reviewing your app logs.  Will post an update as soon as we have guidance.  Apologies for this experience, I can appreciate your frustration.  Stay tuned.

GraemeMitchell
Apprentice
Apprentice
Having the same issue with the smart hub
CooleyRobb
Tutor
Tutor
I replied with the model numbers and firmware for both the hub and video doorbell tried it again and still the same issue
bubbie72
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok. Standing by.

Mark-V
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @bubbie72 @CooleyRobb @GraemeMitchell @GerryP 

We have determined that there was an issue with our backend servers preventing the Arlo Video Doorbell (AVD1001) from onboarding on VMB5000 and VMB4540 Smarthubs. We believe we have resolved the issue on our backend at this time.

You should be able to onboard the Video Doorbell using your VMB5000 or VMB4540 Smarthub at this time following through the normal flow on your iOS App. For those of you who have already installed the doorbell, simply swipe through the steps on the app; there is no need to physically disconnect and re-install your doorbell.

If the Video Doorbell still refuses to onboard to your base station, please take the following steps:

1. Reboot your Smarthub with a simple power reset, by disconnecting the AC power for at least fifteen seconds, then plug the power back in.
2. Perform a factory reset of the Video Doorbell ONLY. Insert a paperclip into the reset hole located on the back of the video doorbell, located between the power terminals. Press and hold the reset button with the paper clip for ten (10) seconds until the button on the front of the doorbell begins flashing quickly. Allow the doorbell approximately 45 seconds to boot back up and give a solid white light.
3. Try onboarding once again.

If you continue to experience issues, please let us know on this thread and we will follow up with you soon.

Thank you,
Mark V

CooleyRobb
Tutor
Tutor
Ok I will try now. Thanks for the quick response.
GerryP
Tutor
Tutor
Just went through the setup for my video doorbell again to pair with my VMB5000 and it worked! Found and paired my video doorbell to the base station very quickly. I didn’t have to do anything special, just left the doorbell in the state it was last in from previous attempts and started the pairing via my app. Finally working. Thank you
CooleyRobb
Tutor
Tutor
Finally it works. I was able to connect the video doorbell to the SmartHub. Thanks for the quick action on this Mark V and Arlo. Hopefully HomeKit support for the video doorbell will come soon. Thanks everyone
SmithRD
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've tried multiple times in the last two days to connect my Video Doorbell to Base Station including removal of doorbell from my account, factory reset of the doorbell, and run though the connection process. It won't connect to the base station.

It does connect pretty quickly to the WiFi though.

Device Info:

HW Version AVD1001Ar1.2, Firmware 1.14.3.0_526_7d9145d_58dd815

HW Version VMB4000r3, Firmware 1.16.1.1_3348_facf74
Mark-V
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @SmithRD 

Thank you for letting us know you have been having difficulty. Have you tried again since last night? Our team made some back end server changes at around 9:00pm Pacific (12:00am midnight Eastern) last night that should allow the Video Doorbell to pair to your VMB4000 Base Station. If it is still not working today, please let us know. We will capture logs from your base station for our engineers to analyze.

Thank you,

Mark V

bubbie72
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I repeated the steps last night and it successfully connected right away. Thanks for the quick responses and much needed support.  Awesome community!

SmithRD
Aspirant
Aspirant

I saw the notes about updating the backend servers last night so I tried two or three times this morning around 9:00 AM EDT.

Thanks,

Rick

Mark-V
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @SmithRD 

Thank you for the update. I will start a ticket for the VMB4000 not onboarding the AVD1001 now. I will also send you a PM with a request and instructions for capturing a log from the app itself.

Thank you,

Mark V

Ty706
Initiate
Initiate

any updates on the VM4000r3 Smart Hub. i am having trouble connecting the doorbell

Discussion stats
  • 46 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation