Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 46 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Jason_A_Alex
Star
Star

I just purchased an Arlo Video Doorbell.  I have 4 Arlo cameras and a base station.  I have followed the instructions but can not get the doorbell connected.   If I follow the app, it finds a base station, checks for firmware updates, and then can never find the doorbell.  If I use the manual method, the doorbell flashes white, accepts the QR code and makes the sound, continues to flash white for a bit and then flashes red/amber (I can't really tell) but again never connects.  I have rebooted the base station,  rebooted my netgear orbi's, hacked the orbi's to only use 2.4 ghz.   I'm at a loss at what else I can do other than to return this piece of junk. 

Any help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@GerryP  @CooleyRobb  @JamesC 

Update - March 31, 2020

Arlo SmartHubs - VMB5000 and VMB4540 are now compatible with the Arlo Video Doorbell.  Please ensure that your SmartHub firmware is updated to the latest version, as listed below.

VMB5000   1.16.1.1_475_71659aa

VMB4540   1.16.1.1_461_71659aa

VMB4000   1.16.1.1_3348_facf74c

VMB4500   1.16.1.1_3260_facf74c

To migrate your Arlo Video Doorbell from WiFi connection to your Arlo base-station or SmartHub, please remove it from your account, wait for the factory reset to complete (LED ring should be solid white) then re-onboard.

This is the full list of supported base-stations and SmartHubs for the Arlo Video Doorbell.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46
Jason_A_Alex
Star
Star

So I reset my router again and now says it connected.  But it's been at the updating firmware screen for quite some time.  The ring on the doorbell is flashing.  Does that mean something went wrong? 

Jason_A_Alex
Star
Star

Ok now it says the firmware update failed.  I told it to try later and it did the chime test which did work.    Now the doorbell shows up in my Arlo App but it says Firmware Update in Progress. 

Jason_A_Alex
Star
Star

Now it is just showing in the app as not connected.   The white ring is flashing on the button.   This thing really is not designed well. 

Jason_A_Alex
Star
Star

Finally after restarting everything for the 5th time the doorbell finally is working in the arlo app. 

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@Jason_A_Alex   Thank you for your inquiry regarding Arlo Video Doorbell compatibility with select Arlo Smart Hubs / Base Stations.  You may have noticed our iOS Arlo app Release Notes for v2.14 mentions support for pairing Arlo Video Doorbell with Arlo Smart Hub / Base Stations. 

This compatibility is in the final stages of development and will be available by the week of April 6th or sooner.  Arlo will announce availability of this compatibility on Arlo Community.  Thank you for your understanding as our teams are working to quickly release this new update as soon as possible.  For now, the Arlo Video Doorbell operates solely while connected directly to 2.4GHz WiFi.

During onboarding, please select the "Connect to WiFi" option.

Jason_A_Alex
Star
Star

I'm sorry Neal but you're wrong.  I didn't read the release notes.   I just followed the instructions in the app by hitting continue.  I didn't do anything special or tricky.  Just hit continue.  The default process of the app is to push you into the base station setup and when I said "Setup as Wifi" it gave me a big warning saying that method was not recommended because of lack of video recording. 

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@Jason_A_Alex   The latest iOS app release enabled the base-station option during onboarding of the Video Doorbell.  However, not all supported base-stations have firmware available yet to allow the Video Doorbell to connect.  This may be why you had some difficulties connecting.

Would you mind sharing which version of base-station you have?  The model ID will be located on the bottom of the base-station.

Also, it is worth clarifying, cloud video recording is possible in both direct-to-WiFi and base-staton modes with the 3-month Arlo Smart trial that is included with the Video Doorbell.  When connected and operated with an Arlo base-station, it also becomes possible to record videos to your own local storage as well (microSD or USB thumb drive).

Jason_A_Alex
Star
Star

The base station is VMB4000r3.   Firmware 1.15.0.1_3162_d878851 and according to the app I am up to date.  I canceled the trial as I already had Arlo Smart for the 4 cameras I have installed.  It just shows up as a 5th on my plan now.  I can finally remote control the door bell and receive calls when it's pushed. 

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@Jason_A_Alex   Thanks Jason!  I'll take a look at this - glad to hear that you have it working, and sorry about the difficulties you had getting to this state.

I'll post an update here once I've confirmed if everyone can expect this support.

Jason_A_Alex
Star
Star

Last question.  If the power kit is in bypass so the internal chime doesn't ring,  Does power continue to charge the device.   Based on the documentation that I can see and my experience with electronics, the Arlo Doorbell doesn't actually close the circuit but signals the power kit that then closes the circuit.  And putting it in bypass still allows power to flow to the unit, but I wanted to be sure. 

arlouser33024
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having a problem when I try to go through the onboarding setup, it recognizes the SmartHub/Base Station. But when it tries to connect the Arlo Video Doorbell to the Smarthub/Base Station it says it cannot find the Arlo Video Doorbell. But if I skip the SmartHub setup and connect it directly via WiFi it works. I too purchased the Arlo Video Doorbell specifically after seeing that the iOS App release notes stated that you could not connect the Arlo Video Doorbell directly to the Base Station. But that feature is not working. Please help.

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@Jason_A_Alex   Correct, with the Power Kit set for "Bypass Mode" the Arlo Video Doorbell will still receive power.  It is the traditional Chime within your home (mechanical or digital) that is isolated from the electrical circuit in this mode, and therefore will not ring when the doorbell button is pressed.

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@arlouser33024   The iOS app update presents the base-station onboarding flow, but not all base-stations have been updated with the appropriate firmware to support this mode yet.  We are working to quickly have this resolved.

Can you also share your base-station model ID?  It is found on the bottom of your base-station. 

Glad to hear that you were able to add the Arlo Video Doorbell to your WiFi, for now, that is the supported mode of operation.  Note - even when connected direct to WiFi, other Arlo cameras can still be triggered to record video when motion is detected by the Video Doorbell.  This can be configured within the Modes and Rules.

arlouser33024
Aspirant
Aspirant
VMB4000r3 is the base station model ID. That is what it says in the App under devices.
bubbie72
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also experienced the same issue today while trying to connect my Arlo Video Door Bell to my Ultra Smart Hub (Hardware VMB5000r4) (Firmware 1.15.0.4_297_aa40f04). I finally gave up (not knowing about the planned firmware update mentioned above) and connected directly to my 2.4 GHZ channel. FYI, I have a 256mb SD card inserted in my base station to record locally (3 camera setup) but I am unsure if the video door bell is utilizing my SD card or Arlo's cloud based servers. I assume it is using Arlo's servers since I see that the 3 month trial option is enabled in my device settings. 

Lastly, I am using a Netgear Powerline AV 2000 to position my Ultra Smart Hub evenly between my 3 cameras and it has worked like a charm. I have excellent signal and a quick speed test produced 260+ Mbps so there is very little signal degradation. All of my cameras report full WiFi signal.

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@Jason_A_Alex   We've checked your account and found that your Arlo Video Doorbell appears to be connected to your WiFi.  During the various system resets, it must have attached to your router.  Everything will continue to work, but I'll let you know as soon as the proper firmware is released for the VMB4000r3 and you can then move your system to your base-station, if you like.

Jason_A_Alex
Star
Star

Yes I got it working last night.  It has already seen the delivery guy come so I know my detection zones are working too. 

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@Jason_A_Alex  @arlouser33024  @bubbie72 

Update - March 29, 2020

Arlo Base Station- VMB4000 and VMB4500 are now compatible with the Arlo Video Doorbell.  Please ensure that your base-station firmware is updated to the latest version, as listed below:

VMB4000   1.16.1.1_3348_facf74c

VMB4500   1.16.1.1_3260_facf74c

Thanks!

bubbie72
Aspirant
Aspirant
Good info Neal. I will be waiting on the firmware update for my VMB5000r4 🙂
CooleyRobb
Tutor
Tutor
What about the VMB4540r2 when should we expect it?
Jason_A_Alex
Star
Star

So to connect it to the base station, do you have to remove the device an re-add it?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jason_A_Alex,

Yes. Once the firmware is available for your model Base Station/SmartHub, you will need to remove your Arlo Video Doorbell and onboard again to switch from AP mode to Base Station/SmartHub mode.

JamesC

GerryP
Tutor
Tutor

When can we expect the Firmware update for the VMB5000r5 to be available for upgrade. Based on the latest App update I thought the option was now available to connect the Video doorbell to the base station so spent all weekend struggling to add it until I found that the base station firmware has yet to be released. 

Neal_ArloPLM
Arlo Employee Retired

@GerryP  @CooleyRobb 

We're working through our final approvals for the VMB5000.  As soon as I have good news to share, I'll reply again on this thread with the full list of base-stations and SmartHubs supported, along with the required firmware revision.

Discussion stats
  • 46 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation