Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Doorbell Motion alerting when not selected

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Dvjohnson
Initiate
Initiate
I keep getting motion alerts on my doorbell despite it not being selected. I have contacted Arlo and the solution they provided did not work (delete activity zone, add it back, etc). Is there a solution for this?
Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently investigating reports of this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information.

JamesC

22 REPLIES 22
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dvjohnson wrote:
I keep getting motion alerts on my doorbell despite it not being selected.

Not sure what you mean by "not being selected".  Are you talking about the smart notification settings???

Activity zones and changing the motion sensitivity can reduce the notification rate.  You can also suppress notifications via the smart notifications (turning off "vehicle" for instance). 

If you don't want any motion alerts, you can disarm it.

Cheyla22
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have all my cameras set to only record certain things. And yet I get a notification for every little thing that makes a move. I've had these cameras for over a year now and this problem hasn't been fixed. This set was over $400, I shouldn't be dealing with this crap. Anybody else have this issue and know how to fix it?
Kjx
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just got done talking to one of their Chat Agents.. He let me know that there's an issue with the smart alert feature and their engineers are working on it. It seems like the Smart alert feature is not following the custom zone that we have set.. These are happening on my Arlo Pro 4 Cameras facing a busy street.

Dvjohnson
Initiate
Initiate
Correct, under the door bell smart notifications settings all options are turned off except people and I’m still getting notifications for motion.

Additionally, I have an activity zone set which the door bell seems to be ignoring. The door bell faces a busy street so I’m getting a lot of erroneous alerts.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is currently investigating reports of this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information.

JamesC

Urshur
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've been having this exact same issue ever since I purchased the doorbell over a year ago. Is there any resolution?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The cloud fix for this issue has been released and you should be seeing the results of the fix now. You may need to remove and reapply activity zones and toggle your smart alerts now that the fix is available. Please let us know if you are still seeing inaccurate smart alerts and/or motion being detected outside your activity zones.

Thank you,

JamesC

Urshur
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's more of an issue with the People filter getting turned off intermittently - at least 2-3 times a day. With the People filter on, I only get notifications for when a person is detected, as usual. But randomly I'll start getting a deluge of Motion detected notifications, and I'll go in to the app and see that the Person filter has been removed. I think that's the root of the problem.

Urshur
Aspirant
Aspirant

If it helps, this is what it looks like. Lots of motion alerts, only People selected in Smart Notifications

Symptom 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The team has found and resolved a cloud issue that was causing this behavior. Please monitor your cameras and let me know if you experience better results moving forward.

Thanks,

JamesC

beezle
Apprentice
Apprentice

I continue to have this issue even with the latest release (ending in 8173366).  I have tried turning motion sensing off and back on, etc.   No difference.

Urshur
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm also still having this issue. The motion alerts always start off by coming in a pair, if that helps.

unnamed.jpg

This is on iOS version 3.6 (3398), released 3/1/22.

beezle
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have had to turn the Motion sensing completely off for my doorbell as it triggers motion at least every minute.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The team is currently reviewing these additional reports and is testing another cloud update that will be available soon. I will keep you updated as more information on this becomes available.

JamesC

beezle
Apprentice
Apprentice

I should add that the motion triggers seem to happen with no apparent motion too. 

Urshur
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am still getting frequent motion alerts (5+ per minute) with only People selected in my Smart Notification filters. Things seemed to have improved a bit over the last couple weeks, but just today it's back to being almost unusable.

beezle
Apprentice
Apprentice
Same here. Mine was good for a few weeks, now going crazy today.
Urshur
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there any resolution to this? I'm STILL getting tons of motion alerts even though I only have Person detection push notifications enabled.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Urshur,

How many alerts are you still seeing? What do the alert messages say?

JamesC

Urshur
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'd say on average 4-5 an hour, but sometimes many more. See post #13 above for a screenshot of what it looks like. Essentially it's giving me all motion alerts, even though I only want Person detection alerts.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Urshur,

Do you have any activity zones enabled?

JamesC

Urshur
Aspirant
Aspirant

I do - I have one. The motion alerts also seem to ignore the activity zone. I've tried deleting and re-creating it a few times. Sometimes that seems to help for a few hours, but then it's back to giving me motion alerts.

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation