Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

add older low voltage chime

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
charely6
Aspirant
Aspirant
when I was installing mine I found that my older chime was just ringing randomly so I had to unhook it, but I would really like to get it hooked back up.
9 REPLIES 9
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@charely6 wrote:
when I was installing mine I found that my older chime was just ringing randomly so I had to unhook it, but I would really like to get it hooked back up.

What manufacturer/model chime do you have?

Did you install an AVD1001 or AVD2001?  Note the AVD1001 also needs the power kit installed at the chime - did you do that?

charely6
Aspirant
Aspirant
AVD1001 the chime doesn't have a brand on it but the transformer says nutone.
When I was going through the installer thing I told it the chime had terminals 123 and it said too complicated call a professional. so I figured out I could install it at the transformer in a similar way to how it would be on a normal one
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@charely6 wrote:

When I was going through the installer thing I told it the chime had terminals 123 and it said too complicated call a professional. s

Does the wiring look like this: https://www.broan-nutone.com/getmedia/17bdc571-8cc4-4d65-97fe-87af8a4be78f/Installation-Guide-LA100W...

charely6
Aspirant
Aspirant
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@charely6 wrote:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/k74o2YjMeSNvwtsq5
looks like this

Nutone has been around for a long time, and there are a lot of different chimes out there.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that 1 comes from the front door, 2 comes from the rear door, and 3 goes to the transformer. But that's just a guess.  Do you have both front and rear doorbells connected?

Also, do you know that the rating of the transformer is?  Both volts (VAC) and power (VA or W).

charely6
Aspirant
Aspirant
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@charely6 wrote:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WfNLEXkJk2eJwnCCA

Looks like 18v, 30va from the label - which is compatible with the AVD1001.

If both front and rear doorbells are connected (or if the wiring is exposed at the doors), then you can sort out the wiring w/o a meter.   Basically each bell requires two wires in the chime to be connected.  One wire is unique for that bell, the other is in common.  The one in common goes to the transformer(normally labeled T),  the other is F or R.

charely6
Aspirant
Aspirant
there isn't a back door bell and the line for the front door bell goes straight to the transformer and made a loop with with the chime that 2 wires show up there.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@charely6 wrote:
there isn't a back door bell 

Ok.

@charely6 wrote:
 the line for the front door bell goes straight to the transformer and made a loop with with the chime that 2 wires show up there.

There should be a wire going from the transformer to the doorbell, the wire going from the doorbell to the chime, and a wire going back to the transformer from the chime.

If the rear doorbell was also wired, then there would be another wire going from the transformer to the rear doorbell (so three wires at the transformer, unless it was spliced in somewhere else along the path).  Then an wire going from the rear doorbell to one of the three connectors at the chime. But the two circuits would share the return wire going back to the transformer.

If only two wires are connected to the chime, then the power kit is wired across those two wires.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation