Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
toddbe
Initiate
Initiate

Does the Arlo Video Doorbell require the Power Kit?  I have mine installed without it. The only problems I am having is alerts outside of my activity zones.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rseward
Apprentice
Apprentice
It likely depends on the type of doorbell system you have and how it’s wired.
A traditional doorbell is an open loop, low voltage (16vac - 24vac) system. One side of the transformer is connected to the chime, and the other side to the doorbell button. When the button is pressed, a wire between the doorbell and chime is connected, completing the circuit, triggering the chime and ringing the bell.
In this configuration there is normally no voltage at the button or chime, until the button is pressed to complete the circuit.
The Arlo Video Doorbell has an internal battery that needs to be trickle charged and kept “topped off“ by the 16-24vac transformer.
The power kit allows you send 16-24vac to the button constantly, but only sends it to the chime when the button is pressed.
The AVD can run off the battery (with no power source) for a short time, but will quickly deplete it’s battery power and ceased to function.
Bottom line, if you have constant 16-24 ac voltage at your button, the doorbell should work (chime may not), if not you’ll either need the power kit, or your doorbell isn’t compatible.
By the way... this is also how Ring and Nest work, it’s not unique to Arlo.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@toddbe wrote:

Does the Arlo Video Doorbell require the Power Kit?  I have mine installed without it. The only problems I am having is alerts outside of my activity zones.

Mine works w/o it also (and my chimes don't work when it is installed).  But others clearly do need it, and it isn't clear why mine doesn't (or if there are long-term consequences to not using it).

FWIW, I also get recordings outside my activity zones - but I've heard that from others who do have the power module installed, so I am thinking that is a different issue.

Anyway, if the power module doesn't create an issue for you, I recommend installing it.  If it does create an issue, I suggest contacting support, as I think Arlo likely needs more information to sort this out. https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

rseward
Apprentice
Apprentice
A traditional doorbell is an open loop, low voltage (16vac - 24vac) system. One side of the transformer is connected to the chime, and the other side to the doorbell button. When the button is pressed, a wire between the doorbell and chime is connected, completing the circuit, triggering the chime and ringing the bell.
In this configuration there is normally no voltage at the button or chime, until the button is pressed to complete the circuit.
The Arlo Video Doorbell has an internal battery that needs to be trickle charged and kept “topped off“ by the 16-24vac transformer.
The power kit allows you send 16-24vac to the button constantly, but only sends it to the chime when the button is pressed.
The AVD can run off the battery (with no power source) for a short time, but will quickly deplete it’s battery power and ceased to function.
Bottom line, if you have constant 16-24 ac voltage at your button, the doorbell should work (chime may not), if not you’ll either need the power kit, or your doorbell isn’t compatible.
By the way... this is also how Ring and Nest work, it’s not unique to Arlo.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rseward wrote:

That's my understanding also.  To complete the story - the video doorbell always needs to draw power from the transformer whether the power module is installed or not. 

If the power module isn't installed,  that power has to flow through your chime(s).  That can cause the chime(s) to misbehave (always ring, hum, or maybe other bad behavior), and it might also result in the doorbell being underpowered.

What isn't clear is that my own setup appears to be working normally without the power module - but the two chimes fail to ring when the module is installed.  I have a 24volt, 24 watt transformer, and two old mechanical chimes wired in the normal way.  I've been working with Arlo to try and sort out why it works the way it does, but so far there is no conclusion.

rseward
Apprentice
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:

That's my understanding also.  To complete the story - the video doorbell always needs to draw power from the transformer whether the power module is installed or not. 
If the power module isn't installed,  that power has to flow through your chime(s).  That can cause the chime(s) to misbehave (always ring, hum, or maybe other bad behavior), and it might also result in the doorbell being underpowered.

What isn't clear is that my own setup appears to be working normally without the power module - but the two chimes fail to ring when the module is installed.  I have a 24volt, 24 watt transformer, and two old mechanical chimes wired in the normal way.  I've been working with Arlo to try and sort out why it works the way it does, but so far there is no conclusion.

First let me say, I'm not a "doorbell expert" (if there is such a thing), but I have done my share of low voltage wiring.

If I'm understanding you correctly... Your doorbell was originally wired similar to what I described in my previous post (but with 2 chimes) and you re-wired in order to send power to the button and power your AVD (after you couldn't get it to work with the power kit) and AVD works fine and so do your chimes?  That is strange. I'd expect the AVD to work, send notifications to your phone etc... but not the chimes.

Roygary
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, I do not have a standard doorbell installed ( broke years ago). I would like to purchase a plugin doorbell transformer and go directly to the new video doorbell without using the power kit. Is that possible? Will the system chime your phone?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Roygary wrote:
Hi, I do not have a standard doorbell installed ( broke years ago). I would like to purchase a plugin doorbell transformer and go directly to the new video doorbell without using the power kit. Is that possible? Will the system chime your phone?

It is possible.  The phone will ring when someone presses the doorbell.  @jguerdat has his doorbell set up this way.

motomax
Apprentice
Apprentice
I’m pretty sure the « power adapter » is just a load resistor. The video doorbell uses a small amount of current to operate normally. This small current can trigger digital chimes or cause some mechanical ones to chatter.
Have you ever used LED bulbs on a dimmer and had them stay on slightly with the switch off? Throw a single regular bulb(resistor) on that same switch and the rest of the leds will no longer light up with the switch off.
Aristos
Aspirant
Aspirant

In my case when I use the power kit, my mechanical door bell trigger every few seconds. So I remove the power kit ands working fine up to now. 

I try to add an extra resistor in series with my door bell but fails to work. 

From my understand the power kit is like a charger that collects power and send it to arlo time to time, and this triggers my ring. 

Degi88
Aspirant
Aspirant
The instructions given on how the power kit is to be set up only gives instruction for set up to existing door bell chimes. And if not using existing chime box and needing to set up on the transformer there are no instructions for that. Why?
Also the power kit has fork like attachment which do not fit in the chime box so how is the power kit to be attached?

Does anyone know?
Instructions and videos only show screw on but not what to do if no screws to attach this power kit to?
Has anyone had this issue and how did you resolve it?
Degi88
Aspirant
Aspirant
The instructions given on how the power kit is to be set up only gives instruction for set up to existing door bell chimes. And if not using existing chime box and needing to set up on the transformer there are no instructions for that. Why?
Also the power kit has fork like attachment which do not fit in the chime box so how is the power kit to be attached?

Does anyone know?
Instructions and videos only show screw on but not what to do if no screws to attach this power kit to?
Has anyone had this issue and how did you resolve it?
Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation