Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My existing wired doorbell has a 9v supply, it can be used with a single 9v battery or a 9v transformer (which I have).

Will my existing transformer operator the wired video doorbell or will I need to buy a new transformer, I assume as the power requirement is 16-24v I will need a new power supply. If so what should I buy, a 24v transformer?

The 16-24v requirement seems a bit odd as most UK doorbells are typically 6v (4 x C or D battery's) or 1 x 9v normally they can be run on either battery or transformer.

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The spec is the spec so, yes, you'll need a new transformer of between 16-24v. There's no need for the high-end voltage unless there's some other reason (cost?) to use it. 

While I'm in the US so am not up to speed on the UK sales but I was sort of under the impression that UK purchases had a configuration that helped work around the issues. Maybe not...

Retired_Member
Not applicable

My doorbell came today and unexpectedly had a transformer in the box but does 8v/12v/24v as the Arlo doorbell operates on 16v-24v it means the only usable winding in the 24v so it appears Arlo prefer it to run on 24v as opposed 16v.

The problem still remains that my chime is rated at 9v and neither 16v or 14v chime boxes are available in the UK.

I actually ordered a transformer that does 8v/16v/24v which means I can run the Arlo at either 16v or 24v  (without using the supplied one that only operates at 24v). My friend who is an electrician says the chime box will probably be OK with 16v (even though it's rated 9v) as it is just a solenoid and is only activated momentarily and unless someone kept the button held it it should not matter. I would not like to power it at 24v as supplied in the box with the doorbell.
That said my electrician friend is looking to add some resistors to bring the voltage down from 16v to 9v for the chime box.

It's still an issue IMHO that Arlo supply a 24v transformer and all UK chime boxes are either 6v or 9v. I understand  why they supply an uprated transformer but 24v is way to powerful when a 16v would be far safer with existing equipment but in reality the Arlo doorbell should not be used with any existing equipment in the UK.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation