Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connecting Arlo Video doorbell to Smarthub

Discussion stats
celsius553
Follower
Follower

I purchased the video doorbell with an ARLO Pro 3 camera system.  I have everything up and running but during the setup I was unable to connect the video doorbell to the ARLO SmartHub.  I've scoured the community and saw this was a problem for the Ultra's in the beginning but haven't seen anything regarding the ARLO Pro 3.  I have tried logging directly in to the hub (none of my passwords are working) but that doesn't seem possible.  I was able to connect it to my home router without difficulty but since I have the Arlo SmartHub why shouldn't it connect there.  I am probably overlooking something easy. Thoughts / Ideas? Is it not possible to have the video doorbell connected to the same SmartHub the cameras are connected to?

30 REPLIES 30
Techo
Initiate
Initiate

As per the FAQs for Arlo Video doorbell it shows compatible with VMB4000 so I would like to confirm if this door bell will connect with my VMB4000r3 base and if I can record it on my local storage as I do for my three other cameras?

IF I can’t then I have to return this video doorbell.

kind_grape
Tutor
Tutor

Im in the same boat. Just got my arlo video doorbell because I saw a review saying it works to record videos when motions detected without subscription.

I have a VMB4000r3 base station to test with arlo video doorbell. First I set up the doorbell with the base stations directly, also canceled my trial subscription to test - No cloud video recording.

Then I think it might be because I didn't have a usb drive, so I plugged in a usb thumbdrive, no recording on the doorbell either.

For some reason, it seems to have messed up my regular arlo pro where it no longer even records over the cloud just now...

Techo
Initiate
Initiate

@kind_grape  first let me thank you for giving the feedback of your bad experience.

I read in other topic where other user also lost his free 7 day cloud Recording privilege after adding this video door bell to his  Base and then removing it. This is a poor logic Arlo is using to force people to buy subscriptions.

I have so much respect for Arlo compared to other companies but today it was a doubt!  I end up wasting my few hours to place order , reading few topics and doing research on this product and then cancelling my order. Big thanks to your post.

@JamesC @StephenB @jguerdat 
Here is my request to these experts from Arlo to first get their documentation updated with better clarification and also put clear instructions of compatibility on FAQ as not all new customers will use community forum they all read FAQ. I am Very technical but not every one is.

On FAQ site you are saying this is compatible With VMB4000, also You are talking @ required firmware of VMB4000 and then you are saying only compatible with the following 2 hubs.

@JamesC  as per your post:

Arlo SmartHubs - VMB5000 and VMB4540 are now compatible with the Arlo Video Doorbell.  Please ensure that your SmartHub firmware is updated to the latest version, as listed below.

VMB5000   1.16.1.1_475_71659aa

VMB4540   1.16.1.1_461_71659aa

VMB4000   1.16.1.1_3348_facf74c

VMB4500   1.16.1.1_3260_facf74c
This is the full list of supported base-stations and SmartHubs for the Arlo Video Doorbell.  R u sure ???

So here are the key questions I have for Arlo SMEs?

Which base will connect and record videos on local storage from this doorbell?

Will this record on local storage without subscription?

Can we watch the last 7 days of videos on app if recorded on local storage ?
Why it is removing 7 day free cloud access of arlo pro 2 after adding video door bell without activating trial subscription? Is this a defect or planned action?

Please advise so And Thank you !!

kind_grape
Tutor
Tutor

No worries brother. @Techo 

For my experience so far, adding the doorbell to VMB4000 adds absolutely no value to the overall usability of the doorbell if you dont have a subscription. 

VMB4000 doesn't seem to 

1) record locally when doorbell detects motion 

or

2) record over the cloud

All I can do with it with my VMB4000 base station is to trigger some action on the base station when it detects motion, such as activating the siren...

urstruly
Aspirant
Aspirant

@kind_grape - thanks for the details.. I'm getting mine tomorrow and am wondering if its even worth the hassle trying to set it up with my VMB4000.. If its going to mess up the 7-day free cloud recording and the usb recording of my current pro 2 cameras, then definitely not. 

What did you end up doing with your video doorbell (return?). Were you able to revive your pro 2 cameras recording capabilities(cloud and usb) if you removed your video doorbell?

kind_grape
Tutor
Tutor

Hey @urstruly  So to update on my situation, the free 7 days cloud rolling storage for my old arlo pro is still working. I think it's probably a fluke with the account when I was adding/removing accounts on that day, but a day or so later, the recording came back.

I am on the fence returning it, still on a quest to find a good vid doorbell without subs. If you guys have any recommendation, please feel free to let me know!

Discussion stats