Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
celsius553
Follower
Follower

I purchased the video doorbell with an ARLO Pro 3 camera system.  I have everything up and running but during the setup I was unable to connect the video doorbell to the ARLO SmartHub.  I've scoured the community and saw this was a problem for the Ultra's in the beginning but haven't seen anything regarding the ARLO Pro 3.  I have tried logging directly in to the hub (none of my passwords are working) but that doesn't seem possible.  I was able to connect it to my home router without difficulty but since I have the Arlo SmartHub why shouldn't it connect there.  I am probably overlooking something easy. Thoughts / Ideas? Is it not possible to have the video doorbell connected to the same SmartHub the cameras are connected to?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo SmartHubs - VMB5000 and VMB4540 are now compatible with the Arlo Video Doorbell (AVD1001).  Please ensure that your SmartHub firmware is updated to the latest version, as listed below.

VMB5000   1.16.1.1_475_71659aa

VMB4540   1.16.1.1_461_71659aa

VMB4000   1.16.1.1_3348_facf74c

VMB4500   1.16.1.1_3260_facf74c

To migrate your Arlo Video Doorbell from WiFi connection to your Arlo base-station or SmartHub, please remove it from your account, wait for the factory reset to complete (LED ring should be solid white) then re-onboard.

This is the full list of supported base-stations and SmartHubs for the Arlo Video Doorbell.

JamesC

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
brh
Master
Master

@celsius553,

Currently the Arlo Video Doorbell only connects to your wi-fi and not to any hubs. That will hopefully change in the near future. In the meantime you should be able to trigger other cameras to record.

Brian

mjdust
Aspirant
Aspirant
I purchased the video door bell and the ultra. Happy with the ultra, but disappointed with the video doorbell. Doesn't utilize the hub, even though it was part of the package deal. I hope this will change in the future since I purchased Arlo so I wouldn't have to be locked into a subscription plan. Plus the video door bell doesn't work with my Echo Show, but the ultra does. Poor design. The video door bell is a waste of money if these things don't change with some updates.

@JamesC, will this be in a future roadmap, to allow the video door bell to utilize the smart hub?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

It’s a goal of Arlo’s to make as many cameras compatible with these integrations as we can but we don’t have an announcement to make regarding Video Doorbell compatibility at this time.

JamesC

dentstew
Aspirant
Aspirant

Why doesn't the video doorbell connect or recognize the hub.  Extremely frustrating.  Won't even let my phone recognize it.  Worthless for use.  What a waste of my morning trying to run this down.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

dentstew,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding Arlo Video Doorbell compatibility with select Arlo Smart Hubs / Base Stations.  You may have noticed our iOS Arlo app Release Notes for v2.14 mentions support for pairing Arlo Video Doorbell with Arlo Smart Hub / Base Stations.  This compatibility is in the final stages of development and will be available by the week of April 6th or sooner.  Arlo will announce availability of this compatibility on Arlo Community.  Thank you for your understanding as our teams are working to quickly release this new update as soon as possible.  For now, the Arlo Video Doorbell operates solely while connected directly to 2.4GHz WiFi.

JamesC

mjdust
Aspirant
Aspirant
That's great news!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo SmartHubs - VMB5000 and VMB4540 are now compatible with the Arlo Video Doorbell (AVD1001).  Please ensure that your SmartHub firmware is updated to the latest version, as listed below.

VMB5000   1.16.1.1_475_71659aa

VMB4540   1.16.1.1_461_71659aa

VMB4000   1.16.1.1_3348_facf74c

VMB4500   1.16.1.1_3260_facf74c

To migrate your Arlo Video Doorbell from WiFi connection to your Arlo base-station or SmartHub, please remove it from your account, wait for the factory reset to complete (LED ring should be solid white) then re-onboard.

This is the full list of supported base-stations and SmartHubs for the Arlo Video Doorbell.

JamesC

PedroNajera
Aspirant
Aspirant
Is the Arlo Video Doorbell compatible to the Arlo Base Station VM3500?
I’m able to only connect the doorbell to my wifi but not to my Base Station.
Without being able to connect it to the hub I cannoy see any recording videos and I can only get the calls when someone rings the bell to my phone but not my wife’s.

Help please. Thank you
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No, the 3500 isn't supported. You need any of the bases/hubs from the 4000/5000 series to use with the video doorbell. It's a firmware thang.

JetCarPilot
Aspirant
Aspirant
Is the video doorbell compatible with the VMB3500? I can not seem to connect my doorbell to it?
psychosaint
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is good to hear.  Now that the arlo video doorbell can be connected to an existing hub, do you know if recordings can be saved using the existing 7 day cloud service or does the video doorbell still require a monthly subscription?

AceNJ
Tutor
Tutor

I'm wondering the same thing. Once confirmed recording can be stored locally I will purchase video doorbell but I refuse to pay for the monthly subscription. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

With an Arlo Video Doorbell connected to a base station or Smart Hub, recordings can be saved locally if local storage is enabled. For content to be saved to the cloud, the doorbell will still require a subscription the Arlo Smart.

JamesC

WStemp
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am considering migrating my VD from WiFi to the Base Station. Does Local recording supplement iCloud service? Can I use Local as a backup?
AceNJ
Tutor
Tutor

I'm not sure I understand your question. The local backups from the base station are only accessible via the Arlo app (and without any thumbnail preview). There is no way I know of that you can access the raw data files to back them up or copy them to another service / folder location. You'd have to "eject" the USB device...

WStemp
Aspirant
Aspirant

There is no “eject” button on the ultra base station. No USB, just a micro SD.
Basically, what are the advantages and disadvantages of migrating my Video Doorbell from WiFi to the base station?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

WStemp,

Local storage backup can be used to supplement the Arlo Cloud. For example, if you experienced an internet outage but your Base Station/SmartHub and Arlo Video Doorbell were still receiving power at that time, recordings would still be made locally.

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@WStemp wrote:

There is no “eject” button on the ultra base station. No USB, just a micro SD.
Basically, what are the advantages and disadvantages of migrating my Video Doorbell from WiFi to the base station?

You always use the Arlo app to eject the drive safely. It's a software unmount, not a physical button.

Syncing to a hub/base not only gives you local storage (and can be used that way without a subscription) as well as the ability to use the Arlo chime if you wish. You can also create cross-triggered rules if desired.

MattB11
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is the Video Doorbell compatible with the vmb3000 base station? I’ve got everything hooked up. Doorbell works but won’t record video and doesn't look like it’s connected with my  cameras. Any ideas?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MattB11 wrote:

Is the Video Doorbell compatible with the vmb3000 base station? I’ve got everything hooked up. Doorbell works but won’t record video and doesn't look like it’s connected with my  cameras. Any ideas?

It's not compatible with your base, so you must have connected it to your home wifi network during setup.

You do need a subscription to store video.  A trial subscription should have been automatically applied (assuming you are in a country where a subscription is available, and that you purchased it in the same country that you are using it in).  So the next step is to look at your subscription status.

MattB11
Aspirant
Aspirant
Can I upgrade to a new base station and be able to record videos locally without a subscription? Or does the video doorbell only save videos with a subscription? I liked how my cameras save now for 7 days. Can my video doorbell do that?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MattB11 wrote:
Can I upgrade to a new base station and be able to record videos locally without a subscription? 

You can record locally if you get a VMB5000 or a VMB4540 and enable direct access to local storage.  You'll also need to reset your doorbell, and add it again (this time pairing it with the base station).  https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

You do lose some things (hopefully Arlo will add them over time):

• no thumbnails in the notifications. 
  • no thumbnails in the library until you download/view the video
  • access not available in the web client
  • no ability to grant access to other accounts

Also, some users do find it tricky to configure port-forwarding (needed to access your library when you are away from home).

MattB11
Aspirant
Aspirant

Will a VMB4000-100NAR work to do this?

A little frustrated I have the doorbell and I'm not able to see videos without a subscription.  It was the one of the things I loved most about my Arlo system at first.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MattB11 wrote:

Will a VMB4000-100NAR work to do this?

No, it needs a VMB4540 or a VMB5000. 

Discussion stats