Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Case for Integration (Smartthings, other)

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
HTSInc
Star
Star

Today I replaced my Ring Doorbell for an Arlo Video doorbell, then I learned I could not integrate. While the Ring integration was limited, I was able to use its motion detection in my routines.

One routine turns on my outside lights for 2 minutes (after motion stops) when the Ring doorbell (and/or other Arlo outdoor cameras) detects motion.

I was saddened to learn this was not possible as I may have to return the device based on this need alone. When I come home late at night, I need to be able to see where I am walking or find the lock to insert my key.

7 REPLIES 7
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

HTSInc,

It’s a goal of Arlo’s to make as many cameras compatible with these integrations as we can but we don’t have an announcement to make regarding Video Doorbell compatibility at this time.

JamesC

bjthomas09
Tutor
Tutor

Definately need Smartthing and IFTTT integration with Video doorbell as well as google home.  HomeKit would be nice but the first 3 I really need.  I bought these expecting them to work like my Arlo Pros, big mistake on my part.   I am guessing its a while out, so unless I hear something different I will be returning them for now and reinstalling my old ring doorbell.  At least I could integrate it with smartthings and IFTTT to trigger automations.   

Finally to add to the the Alexa integration does not work either, Alexa does not announce when there is motion or the doorbell is pressed.   

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bjthomas09,

Alexa integration should work for Arlo Video Doorbell. Take a look here for set up instructions: How can I use Amazon devices with my Arlo cameras?

JamesC

HTSInc
Star
Star

Thanks for responding but the integration I am looking for is the ability to use the motion from the video doorbell to kick off another activity (like turn on my outdoor lights when I am being dropped off at my walkway late at night).  My Arlo camera already does this by my garage when I pull into my driveway as did my Ring video doorbell (which I apparently prematurely replaced with Arlo).

HTSInc
Star
Star

I see that the Video Doorbell now works with the Hub so I set this up hoping it would also work like other Arlo cameras and allow a motion to trigger another action (like turning on my outside lights).  Well, unless I am missing something this still is NOT an option.  Are there any plans to implement this with Smartthings/others as I would really like to tun on my pathway lights when my Arlo Video Doorbell notices motion as I walk up my front pathway (just like my Arlo Camera turns on my outside lights as I pull into my driveway).

DaWeav
Guide
Guide

I'm in the market to replace my Ring Doorbell and I'd like to replace it with the Arlo Video Doorbell, but reading through this thread and others here the Arlo Video Doorbell won't work for me. I need the motion sensor of the Doorbell accessable to SmartThings, or even Amazon Alexa, so that I can use the Doorbell motion sensor as the trigger to turn on the Porch Light and other outside security lights which the Ring Doorbell can do because of its SmartThings integration. I'd really like to see who's at my door at night in full color with the light on vice just the infrared night mode glow.

HTSInc
Star
Star

I guess its doubtful that the Video Doorbell will integrate with Smartthings and/or other IoT hubs/devices yet I am confused as to how IFTTT can gain access to the motion protocol and others like Smartthings and HomeKit  cannot?

Apparently, I have been looking at this issue backwards. Until now,  I wanted the Video Doorbell to work like the other Arlo devices that I own (where I can use the motion of the Arlo device to trigger other non-Arlo devices and turn on the outside lights after hours so no one hurts themselves).

Being a big fan of the Arlo product line (and a stockholder of a few thousand shares currently at a loss) this week I purchased / upgraded my Arlo system cameras to the better Arlo 3 units.  Today I learned that all of the newer Arlo devices (Arlo 3 to current) work exactly the same as the Video Doorbell; so by upgrading I will be LOSING the critical functionality that I set up in my household IoT. 

It’s a good thing that I learned this before opening my (5) new Arlo 3 cameras and base station.  It is one thing to lock myself into proprietary infrastructure like Arlo (i.e. if Arlo fails, I must yet again replace expensive equipment with something new), but I can’t afford to sacrifice the “safety features” of my IoT just to obtain sharper camera images.  Instead I’ll wait to replace my current Arlo cameras with something more open because I need to use the “motion” of the camera to trigger non-Arlo actions (like turning on the outside lights).  Ring does that today and Arlo used to provide me that functionality.

I am hopeful that Arlo becomes more “open” before I need to replace my remaining equipment as I would be very happy to upgrade and continue using better Arlo products in future implementations. 

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation