Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can't seem to assign difference mode schedules to different devices

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
10jed
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 2 Ultra 2 cameras and 1 wired doorbell connected to the VMB5000r4 base station.

I want to have different devices on different schedules, but the Schedule Mode appears to be global for all devices.

Surely there must be a way to assign different schedules to each device (e.g., front/back, or have the doorbell camera on all day but the back camera only on at night). I've RTFM'd and struck out. 

I did try to create a new mode in the hopes that I could associate it with a specific device, but I don't see the ability to assign a schedule to it. And within the Schedule Mode I don't see the ability to select a specific device.

Would appreciate some assistance. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
10jed
Aspirant
Aspirant

Actually I finally figured out that by not isolating cameras to different modes I can accomplish this with separate, adjacent but non-overlapping schedules. Geez, the documentation is really inadequate. I ultimately created 2 modes, one with cameras A and B and the other with A, B and C, then assigned mode A & B to 7am - midnight and mode A, B & C to midnight - 7am. Problem solved! (I had previously tried setting cameras A & B to all day and  camera C to midnight-7am which isn't possible given UI constraints.)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

The scheduling function schedules modes, and each mode controls all the cameras connected to the base.  Only one mode can be active at a time. Any camera missing from a mode is disarmed when the mode is activated.

A way to accomplish what you want:

1. Create a on-paper schedule of what cameras you want active over time.
  2. Identify all unique combinations of cameras that are active simultaneously in that schedule. 
  3. Create a custom mode for each combination
  4. Build a schedule from that set of custom modes.

10jed
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks. It's non-intuitive, but I created separate modes for my front and back cameras and assigned them to different schedules. However it doesn't appear possible to overlap schedules. For example, if I set the back camera to activate from midnight until 8am, I can't set the front camera to run from midnight to 11:59pm - as soon as I set that schedule up, the other one disappears from the schedule. This is hugely inconvenient and seems to be a design flaw - unless there's a trick I haven't figured out yet...

10jed
Aspirant
Aspirant

Actually I finally figured out that by not isolating cameras to different modes I can accomplish this with separate, adjacent but non-overlapping schedules. Geez, the documentation is really inadequate. I ultimately created 2 modes, one with cameras A and B and the other with A, B and C, then assigned mode A & B to 7am - midnight and mode A, B & C to midnight - 7am. Problem solved! (I had previously tried setting cameras A & B to all day and  camera C to midnight-7am which isn't possible given UI constraints.)

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@10jed wrote:

Actually I finally figured out that by not isolating cameras to different modes I can accomplish this 

Which is what the procedure I gave you above does.  As I said earlier "each mode controls all the cameras connected to the base."

I agree it's not as easy/intuitive as it should be.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation