Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can Arlo Video Doorbell Send A Chime To Phones Instead of a Video Call?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
AwkwardArlo
Guide
Guide

I thought I did enough research on the Arlo Video Doorbell when I bought it, but apparently I didn't. I scoured the community, YouTube, and various Arlo resources, but couldn't exactly find a solution for my specific issue.

Basically, I have installed the Arlo Video Doorbell to the front of my house that did NOT have an existing doorbell. Therefore, it does not have an existing chime setup. I was able to power up the door bell and ASSUMED that once set up, there would be a digital doorbell chime sent to any accessible phone in the house when the doorbell was pressed. 

I was wrong.

Instead, phones will get a call which we can then Accept or Reject. Once accepted, it's a video call as we all know which is cumbersome for my use of the video doorbell although I understand its useful workflow for some people. I just want the phones to chime when the doorbell is pressed. 

There doesn't seem to be a way to have the doorbell just send a chime to the phones from what I've researched. Do I have to now buy an add on product? Is Chime 2 the only solution? Is there another way to use the Google NEST systems to "chime" when the doorbell is pressed?

I just don't understand how there's no toggle for just calls or just chimes on the phone when the doorbell is pressed. Getting alerted is one thing, but I'd like to have a chime that I can hear in the house to know someone is actually there or not.

If anyone has some possible solutions other than Chime 2, I will be forever grateful. Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Without an existing chime or Arlo chime, your phone will receive a call on button presses. Additionally, if the doorbell is Armed, you will receive push notifications when the doorbell detects motion.

If you would like to receive a chime on button press, the doorbell needs to be wired to an existing traditional chime or you would need to pair the doorbell with an Arlo Chime 2.

AwkwardArlo
Guide
Guide
That was what I feared. A design flaw in order for me to buy more products. Thanks Arlo!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Really? A "design flaw" because you have a usage case that is out of the design spec? Just because it doesn't fit your model doesn't mean there's a flaw.

AwkwardArlo
Guide
Guide
Usage spec diff or not. If there's communication from the hardware to the software app, there's room to design a toggle to chime as mentioned for the sake of notifying someone is at the door without calling them. It's possible. The fact they intentionally exclude this functionality to sell an add on product that is almost half the cost to perform this feature is absurd. I salute the engineers involved that have programmed these devices but F the PMs that decided to tell them not to include an option to send a chime. Hopefully this can be included in future versions of this Arlo Video Poorbell (not a typo).
Filthy
Initiate
Initiate
As a user coming from the Skybell which has phone chime notifications included I agree this is a glaring oversight and I’m equally disappointed. I don’t need to chat with everyone who rings the doorbell. Why should that be the default? How about just behave like a traditional doorbell but only where my phone chimes and the mechanical doesn’t. Skybell does that.

I created a feature suggestion below. If you like this idea please like the suggestion too.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/Please-add-phone-chime-only-as-an-option/idi-p/1823...
AwkwardArlo
Guide
Guide

Sadly, I don't believe this is an oversight. It's definitely by design from the canned responses seen here by the CSR and "Guru" to buy the Chime 2. I would understand if there was no such thing as firmware updates, but since these devices can indeed have their firmware updated, I don't see why they cannot include the Chime to phone feature. It's quite silly and I knew the answer before posting, but was hopeful there would be some helpful true "Gurus" to help with possibly setting up a Google Nest chime or something as a workaround. I'm not paying $50+ to be notified if the doorbell is pressed because of the design flaw (yes, I said it again).

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation