Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
lcross
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi. 

Installed video doorbell.  New 16VAC/30VA transformer used. Installed "chimeless" to start.  Works as expected.  

Installed new IQ-America digital wired/wireless chime PD-7520, including Arlo power module.  Changed app to select digital chime.   Works fine.   Diode not used at doorbell.

Issue :  The chime has 10 tones.  I cannot change the tone as there is no power(insufficient?) to the chime when the system is "idle".  The chime manual and company rep via email say to "just push the buttons to select the tone", but they are expecting the chime is in a powered state, which it is not.  If I stand on the ladder and my wife pushes the doorbell, I can cycle tones while the Arlo is powering the chime, but it does not stay selected.  

What voltage should I be expecting during "idle" across the chime "front" and "transformer" terminals?   Any other ideas?

Thx,
Lance

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lcross wrote:

If I stand on the ladder and my wife pushes the doorbell, I can cycle tones while the Arlo is powering the chime, but it does not stay selected.  

What happens if you disconnect the power module while you are on the ladder?  Can you then cycle to to the tone you want?

That likely will work - but I have no idea if it will stay selected when you reconnect the module.

Note if you are reasonably careful it is safe to disconnect/reconnect the module w/o turning off the power.

lcross
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

Without the power module, I fall victim to the AC current without the diode in place... so I get fractional seconds of chime then off, then on, etc...  no way to tell what tone is playing.  

I am wondering if I can install the diode at the chime box rather than at the doorbell, just to force the current flow direction. Might be worth a shot.  If I can change the tone, then remove diode, reinstall the power module, all with the power on...might maintain that memory selection.

Thx  🙂

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lcross wrote:

I am wondering if I can install the diode at the chime box rather than at the doorbell, just to force the current flow direction. Might be worth a shot.  If I can change the tone, then remove diode, reinstall the power module, all with the power on...might maintain that memory selection.

Normally the diode is ensuring that the chime is powered even when the doorbell isn't being pressed.  Connecting the diode at the chime won't accomplish that purpose.  And connecting the diode at the doorbell might result in the doorbell not getting enough power (since it is designed to divert power away from the doorbell).

The power module is designed to make sure the chime isn't powered when the doorbell isn't pressed.  This is needed because (unlike a traditional doorbell), some power is always running through the video doorbell, and that can make the chime mis-behave.

It looks like your chime also can use 3 size C batteries.  Have you tried installing those?  They might cover the power gap you need.

lcross
Aspirant
Aspirant

Was able to experiment a bit more over the weekend. Indeed, the use of the diode diverts too much current from the doorbell and it starts erroring for low battery and tampering.  It functioned OK for the first few minutes.  Thus, I removed it and placed batteries into the chime.  Although I am not thrilled about it, it worked.  Chime now has enough power to select chimes and remember my selection.  I was ready to throw in the towel and purchase an Arlo chime, then read that the Arlo chime is not directly compatible with the video doorbell, unless you also buy the base station.  Gets expensive real quick just to be able to hear the doorbell ring.  So, I press on with this chime.    

Thanks for you help on this install. 

Lance

Dawkin2s
Aspirant
Aspirant

You can set your Arlo Video Doorbell to trigger a mechanical, computerized, or no ring when somebody presses the doorbell button

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation