Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo video doorbell audio and video choppy when answering call

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Sandymike
Aspirant
Aspirant

Whenever I try to answer a doorbell "call", the video and audio are choppy and unintelligible.

This only happens when I try to answer the call.

Manual recording and motion detection recording are fine with sound and video.

Live feed is also fine video and audio.

What is wrong?

Mike

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sandymike,

This may be an issue with the mobile devices ability to support incoming video doorbell calls. Try lowering the resolution within your doorbell settings to see if that improves the call behavior.

jamesC

Sandymike
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply James C

I have tried the following:

Tried 4 different devices, two Samsung tablets, and two different Samsung phones, (no change)

Set permissions on tablet and phone to allow arlo arlo access. (This did improve but still unusable)

Removed the video doorbell from my base station, connected directly to my wifi (worse)

Reconnected the video doorbell to my base station (back to unusable)

I  will gladly try any other solutions.

Mike

Sandymike
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC,

What is auto HDR and would that have any effect on the call video?

Mike

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sandymike,

Have you tried lowering the video doorbell resolution? How do I adjust the video settings on my Arlo Video Doorbell?

High dyanmic range (HDR) solves the problem with over- or under-exposed images of scenes with both bright and dark areas in the same picture. Your Arlo Video Doorbell automatically determines when to use HDR. HDR is optimized for outdoor environments. Your camera comes set to use HDR automatically, but you can turn it on and off. This change takes effect on the next video stream or motion recording.

I addition to lowering video doorbell resolution, you could also try disabling HDR to see if the improves performance.

JamesC

Sandymike
Aspirant
Aspirant

Lowering video resolution and disabled the auto HDR.

Still choppy video and audio

I have a support case created june 21st 

Case # 41718380

No response yet from support.

Mike

Sandymike
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC,

Can you please check on my support case?

Number 41761986

I sent an update but web page errored when uploading response.

Just want to know if it went through.

I suspect that my problem may be due to slow upload speeds.

I am on DSL and my upload speed is 1mbps.

Not sure if there is anything else I can do.

Mike

Jack555
Aspirant
Aspirant

Case 41892166.  I have same issue.  On call Video pixelates (looks like 'Predator' on cloak mode) and greys out part of screen ... audio is also broken up.  The Video goes bad when there is ANY movement ... problem starts when there is movement.  Seems to eventually work if I stand dead still and don't breath.  Spent 1.5 hours with tech and session ended abruptly with no follow up by tech.  Sent video of the errant image and it is in case file.  My upload speed was tested is good 6x above your minimum ... 12mbps.  WiFi strength is also good in that spot and near full strength.  Set to video lowest resolution.  Restarted device, removed and reloaded app.  I believe that this is a software compression issue on phone call.  Video seems good and solid when live streaming to app and viewing history clips.  My mechanical chime is also dampened and is about half as loud as without doorbell.  I replaced a competitors product and it did not have same chime issue.  I suspect that the doorbell and/or power kit is using excessive current from the transformer.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jack555,

I've escalated your open support ticket and requested a status update. An agent will reach out to you as soon as possible with more information.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation