Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo video door bell and Netgear Nighthawk

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
joedog1
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK, I first was able to connect my video doorbell to my network which was a Linksys Router and everything for the most part was fine. I needed to change my router for other reasons and replaced it with a Nighthawk RAX35. 

This is where the problem starts... 

First, you can't change it to a new network without having to reset it. Which means you have to remove it from the door and hit the reset pin. That's a pain in the ass. 

Then upon doing so it, I tried to establish a connection to the new router using the same setup as before with no luck. It goes through the process and times out. I tried this too many times with various changes, resetting again, deleting and reinstall, removed power and complete reset, which required hitting the reset button while holding the ring button on the front for 15 seconds. Still, won't connect. I even created a 2.4 guest network and tried to have it connect to that. NO LUCK.  So now I'm thinking that it's broke and I need a new one.  So before I go that route. I have an idea, I run a Cat5 out of the new router and run it into the old Linksys router. So now I do the reset again and do the installation but connect to the 2.4 network on the old Linksys router. It finds it and connects!!!!

So obviously there is an issue with the video doorbell and Netgear Nighthawk Routers...WARNING!!!!

7 REPLIES 7
valentantonova1
Aspirant
Aspirant

If you have an Arlo cam, too, you can view the live video feed as you're talking with your visitor

CLBArlo
Guide
Guide

Same issue, I always think its just me .......  My Archer C9 dead and I replaced it with a Nighthawk RAX40.  Got all my other devices connected no problem, except the doorbell.   Executed the same steps as you did and was about to open a support call when I noticed my camera basestation firmware had updated, it now allowed the doorbell to onboard via the basestation.  Tried that and the doorbell was up and running again.    Hopefully someone from support can explain what is needed to get the doorbell connected to these Nighthawk routers.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No problem here using any Nighthawk router over the years, including recent use of a beta RAX model. I've never had to do anything when changing routers relative to Arlo. I do customize my settings but nothing that would affect Arlo (i.e. closing ports, etc.)

It's hard to say what might be going on for you guys but I would submit that it's something about your networking setup, not the routers.

joedog1
Aspirant
Aspirant

No telling? But to be honest I didn't change anything to the network setup of the Nighthawk Router? I even turned on guest network and tried to get to connect to that network with no luck. Did this all while customer service was on the phone too. So with that, I'm thinking it something with Nighthawk and Arlo Doorbell that doesn't play nice. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The only thing the router has to do for Arlo is to provide the base/hub with an IP address and allow access to the Internet on ports 80, 123 and 443. It has nothing to do with your WiFi - it's all Ethernet connections.

joedog1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Huh? First, I don't have anything connected by Ethernet on my network? It's all WiFi.  The Doorbell connects to the network via WiFI?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since your doorbell is connecting via WiFi (there's also the possibility that hasn't been explored fully that you could have other Arlo cameras or connecting the doorbell to a hub), it still has to be getting an IP address from the router and the router ports have to be open for access to arlo.com.

So, I could have gleaned from your first post that this was a WiFi problem but that wasn't particularly obvious to me - sorry 'bout that. I can't recall now whether I had the doorbell connected to the RAX router directly or not - too many betas with different setups.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation