Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
chefslim99
Aspirant
Aspirant
Arlo sucks again. Bought their stupid door bell and just like other products idiots didn’t figure to design it so sensitivity doesn’t change with temperature. Also o have my sensitivity on 1 and I still get alerts from cars passing 40 feet from my house. Baby cam crap. Doorbell crap. Can’t believe I actually bought their stock...
6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Your mind is made up so nothing I say will change it. All I can say is that with a zone to exclude the street and a motion setting of 25 in my modes and rules I get almost no false triggers while still getting people walking up the walk ~20-25 feet away. There's been no need to change motion sensitivity due to temperature although I could see some corner cases where that may be needed.

chefslim99
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes but that requires a subscription to their service which I don’t want. They are sneaky and only allow the features if you buy their stupid subscription.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As noted in documentation as well as the notice of a trial subscription on the box, a subscription is needed. This has been true for a couple of years now, starting with the Ultra (anything newer than the Pro 2).

chefslim99
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes BUT if your sensitivity would allow more adjustment it would be fine. I’m at 1% and road is 30-40 feet away and every car sets it off, I disable it right now.. Also it is temperature sensitive as it doesn’t do this in summer months just winter. I shouldn’t have to adjust based on season. Furthermore I should be able to adjust it lower as cars pass by and still cause alerts at 1%. I have 5 arlo ultra cameras and they have same temperature sensitivity. Also have two baby cameras and those are junk. I had to put WiFi plug on them and setup timer to turn off during the day as when they got hot they wouldn’t work at all...so I know arlo very well...I’m design circuit boards for a nuclear company so I know about this stuff...put in heat chamber and then let me know what you find at cold and hot temperatures...need to add code to compensate.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And I'm retired IT for an ASIC design house (previously an R&D electronics tech) so I can figger things out, too. 

I would submit that it's not temperature variance causing the triggers but the change in the sun's angle causing more IR from the sun being reflected off passing cars. Also, you never said whether you're reducing sensitivity in your modes and rules. As for zones, other Arlo cameras allow zones to be used without a subscription as long as they were powered so I would ass-u-me that the doorbell follows this allowance.

And it's not "my" sensitivity. This is a user forum and I have no official connection with Arlo or any other company.

chefslim99
Aspirant
Aspirant
Interesting point but happens at night and day only in winter so I beg to differ. Summer time I can have sensitivity at 50% and it doesn’t record every car that passes during night or day... I can’t adjust sensitivity any lower than 1% so nothing I can do but disable it.
Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation